how do you teach ds child good touch/bad touch

she is not potty trained and has people we have met only once or twice changing her. will she start to act out if something is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• there is a possibility she will, ive heard of it happening. i would teach her good/bad touch with maybe male/female dolls. but you can also talk to a nurse who might know some more. but i really have people she doesnt know well change her or i would be present when they do.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 2:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• depends. how old is she? i found out my baby daddy was touching my daughter when i noticed she was fighting alot more when i changed her. when i brought it up to him he got very angry and left. that told me he did it. she was around 13 months when she first started doing that. she is much better now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• She's between 5 and 8? Does she have a disability? I don't mean to be rude but at this age if she isn't potty trained it probably indicates an even bigger problem unless there is a disability involved. Obviously at 5 years old and still haveing a diaper she's at a higher risk to perverts. Is she capable of changing herself at all? As far as teaching her good and bad touch I agree with PP - perhaps a doll or a medical professional would be your best bet. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Tell her the truth I know it can be scary but kids need to know that not everyone out there is nice. Tell her that her private is for her only no one should touch her there I like the doll idea. Maybe stop letting people change her if you do not know them.

kristie190

Answer by kristie190 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• to answer the question within the answer. Yes. She has downs syndrome and she is being changed at school. she could change a pull up with just a little help if she isn't poopy, but we can't afford to send pull-ups to school. We don't feel anything is wrong at this point, we were just wandering if there is a way to teach her. i have told her not to let anyone touch her without a wipe and she no longer will let us put cream on her unless we have a wipe or paper, so i think she understands. we have asked that she have her personal attendant and another person present when changed and so far this is being done. if you have any suggestions for potty training we're all ears.
    Anonymous

• The baby doll idea is a good place 2 start I think. Also, be honest w/ her & explain things 2 her in a way that u think she can understand by keeping it short & simple. None of my children have Dyslexia but we still keep things simple bc their (my own children) attention span is short. Lastly, when u start explaining things 2 her, let her know that even if it's not a stranger that has made her uncomfortable, it's still ok 2 tell u bc sometimes I think children r afraid 2 tell about someone who is not a stranger.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I HAVE A FIVE YEAR OLD AND AT THIS AGE IS THE PERFECT TIME TO TELL HIM/HER THAT NO ONE IS TO TOUCH THERE BOTTOM OR HIS PENIS I USE THE CORRECT TERM SO THERE WANT BE ANY CONFUSION IF THIS SITUATION WAS TO ARISE THAT SOMEONE WAS TOUCHING HIM I ASK HIM DAILY AFTER SCHOOL IF ANYONE FROM SCHOOL OR DAYCARE HAS TOUCH HIM IN APPORIATLY, AND HE ALWAYS SAYS MOM I KNOW NO ONE IS SUPPOSE TO TOUCH ME BUT YOU
    SHANDA253

Answer by SHANDA253 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Start with soft toys; then with your hand show to touch face with a soft touch. Tell and show where not to touch. Show same on hard touch. My daughter learned because she loved to have her rubbed while she went to sleep
    beachbummama1

Answer by beachbummama1 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Can't her personal attendant change her?
    Steph1977

Answer by Steph1977 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008