Ok moms how many of you let your sweet children help you cook?

Ever thought about letting a 2 ,3,4,5,.........year old help you peel potatoes. I'm sure you all so no way. I have a way that even a 1 yr. can help peel potatoes with out a knife. Boil them and cool them. then with a little pinch the skin come right off. Then if your making mashed potatoes you can let them smash them and call it smashed potatoes and let daddy know they helped you. will be easy and fun. You will also be keeping them busy so there not under feet wanting some thing.

SassyDee01963

Asked by SassyDee01963 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My kids help me cook all the time. I don't care about the mess, the kitchen cleans, but the kids love it and we are spending quality time together.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i thought about letting my 1 yr old help. i let him attempt to season the food lol it's so fun to see his facial expressions lol good idea for the potatoes i'm going to do that thanks!
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I've just started letting Max use a butter knife to cut things like bananas or avacados. He's 4 now, but he's been in the kitchen with me since he was 2. He makes the best scambled eggs. I have beaten (figuratively) stove safety in his head and he does really well. Of course stay right there with him, but he's very fluent in the kitchen. He made box mix brownies all by himself last night. All I did was put them into and took them out of the oven. He looked at the diagram for high full to fill his liquid measuring cup and how many eggs to put in. He's a great little helper.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• your welcome and you end up with more because the peel comes off so easy.
    SassyDee01963

Comment by SassyDee01963 (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• But I will say that while I let my 4 yr old help cook, I am a big stickler that if you don't have an apron on, and actively cooking/prepping a the counter or table, get out of the kitchen. No playing no walking around no hanging out while I'm cooking. When I used to be an insurance agent, there was a little boy who came in with his grandmother. He had sustained a SEVERE burn when he was 1 yrs old. His mom tripped over him on the floor and dumped a pot of boiling liquid over him. It had been a couple years since the accident but he literally looked melted from the top of his head, down his back/chest and arms and hands. He was having surgery every year to release/remove painful scar tissue as he grew. Ever since then I am very strict about kids being underfoot in the kitchen.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My kids help me cook all the time. It's a great time to teach them while spending time together. THanks for the suggestion.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• So important... my kids were always in the kitchen with me and as adults are great cooks and now are teaching their kids to cooks.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Both of my kids were helping in the kitchen from a very young age and now they can both cook an entire meal without any adult interference. It's great!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My 2 year old helps me all the time. Might as well if she's in the kitchen.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Not potatoes, no. Things like cakes, cookies, brownies, pizza, even tacos though, I let her help.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:17 AM on Aug. 15, 2010