Help with a gassy baby!

I have talked to my daughters pediatrician and he is no help, so I would like some help from other moms. My 2 week old daughter is now on Enfamil Gentlease formula and is really gassy. We swithced her a week ago from Enfamil milk based to Gentlease and still she is really gassy. I have tried Mylicon drops, Playtex bottles, and Dr. Browns, and yet still she cries so hard when she has farts. I don't know what else to do and would like some advice from other moms! Thanks!

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.mylicon.com/...
    These Mylicon gas drops worked wonderers for my son.. hope this helps!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Are you using the Mylicon Brand or the generic brand? Generic did not work for my son, only the mylicon did. Also, I had to let the bottle sit for a few minutes to let the bubbles out after shaking it to mix the formula.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have no idea if this will help but my SIL had a really fussy baby and one thing that helped her was to carry the baby on her arm........Baby's head was in my SIL's hand, tummy against her arm, and baby's arms and legs hung off the sides of her arm. SIL felt that the pressure relieved the discomfort and the baby was happy there. Often took naps there, etc. IDK, but it might be worth one try. GL.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• If you are using a powder formula mix, Stop. Only use the liquid pre-mixed. Your water may be causing the upset stomach. A lot of my friends started with a powder mix and HAD to switch to the liquid. My Pediatrician actually said NOT to use the powder mix at all. We only used Similac Advance liquid. My DS had gas occasionally & we gave him Mylicon as directed, but it was not a big issue for him. Try going to Similac.com. They have a couple of different formulas to try. But again, don't use a powder, since you never know what is actually in your water. Good Luck and try it is Excellent formula.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When you see babies doing that... crying and passing gas... the first thing we assume is that its gas pain, Right? Well actually its often just the opposite. They are crying hard and because they are crying hard they force out gas. The gas is not the problem, just a "side effect" of crying. And since you have tried all the norrmal gas remedies and they are not helping, I think we can say with pretty much certainty that the problem isn't gas pains. My first suspect... Acid Reflux. It often starts showing up around 2wks. Some babies with acid reflux spit up a lot, but then others like my little ones had silent reflux. The stomach contense go up, but then roll back down instead of coming out the mouth. This is actually more painful because it burns going up and going back down. Google symptoms and see if any fit. If it does, talk to your doctor. Acid reducers take a couple weeks to reach full effectiveness, but work!
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Also look up happiest baby on the block. You tube has some videos on it. That also quiets a fussy baby.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Try Gripe Water. You can purchase it at the drugstore or babies r us. It was a life savor for us! My son is 4 months now and he has gotten better with his gas issues. We also use the Gentlease - give it time to see a difference. My daughter was also on this formula. Also sounds like you might have a colicky baby- which lasts until 3 months- i was in your shoes!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• o and could also be reflux- my son had this as well. Meds helped a lot..
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:40 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Gripe Water works wonders as does Simethicone drops and bouncing the baby on your knee.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• try placing the baby to where her tummy is on your knee for as long as she will take it. also try lil tummys gas drops or gripe water. gl
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010