3 month old, developmentally delayed?

I have twin boys. They are 13 weeks old on monday. One is cooing, babbling, smiling, obsessed with our faces and watching our mouths move, and cuddily. I have started to pick up on some things with my other son, and frankly my internet search on this topic is starting to concern me. He smiles and sometimes its in response to us. But its really not that much and it is not guaranteed like it is with my other son. When I hold him he arches his back away from me and struggles. If i flip him forward he is much calmer. He is starting to babble more, but again most of what he does is not in repsonse to us, like it is with my other son. And he does not make consistent eye contact. If you look at him from 2 feet away its better. But up close he avoids your gaze even if you repeatedly put your face in front of his. My other son is in PT for Torticollis, so I am going to ask on Monday about these things... but anyone have thoughts?

Megeliz6

Asked by Megeliz6 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's really too early to tell. Have you talked to your doctor?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• id talk to the dr
    shortstuff69

Answer by shortstuff69 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• have you had his eyes and hearing checked? I know it is early, but my sons hearing was screened in the NICU....
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 7:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it is kinda too early to tell. But talk to your doctor just in case. His personality just might be different
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You really can not go by what another baby is doing even if it is a twin. all children grow and do thing at different times. some are faster then others. One will crawl before the other. One will walk before the other. So forth and so on. Please do not start this "Well your brother can do it why can't you do it." You will have one of your sons mad at you.

Answer by louise2 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I wish I had more characters in my original post because I actually wanted to say that I have zero concern about them doing things at the same time with the same ability. I am delighted by their differences. But when I searched the net for , lack of eye contact, does not like to be held, does not smile much. A lot of scary things came back .. so I was looking to see if anyone could offer me some peace of mind. Or share any similar experiences. Thank you for your feedback but I am just a concerned new mom. Not someone who is trying to push my kids to be as "good" as one another.

for those of you who asked me about the doctor. I am seeing a physical therapist for my other son, who has expertise in this area so I will definitely ask her about it.
    Megeliz6

Comment by Megeliz6 (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I agree with most of the other posters, that it is sort of early to really tell. There are so many things that could be going on, or nothing. From my experience with early intervention services (and we have a lot), they might have some ideas or be able to indicate whether they'd be concerned, but may not really be able to give you an answer. I would still talk to the pediatrician about any concerns like the ones you mentioned.
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 7:43 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i guess you will discuss this with dr's anyhow, hopefully the two boys are just different.
    both my twins arched their backs...they were tricky to hold onto! i thought they were like that from tandem breastfeeding. i have one twin that did everything first so far : )
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You can scare yourself crazy with searching things on the web!!! Dont worry about it to much untill you talk to your dr.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Contact early intervention. My son was screened at 4 months old and he receives services for torticollis and developmental delays. They will screen both boys for free! They monitor his motor skills, social skills, feeding, self help, etc . . .
    lmjess

Answer by lmjess at 10:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010