Beating the Baby Blues

I just had my baby this past Tuesday and I'm starting to feel the baby blues already, nothing drastic, just a lot of weepiness and emptiness and not wanting my daughter out of my arms. Any suggestions from experienced Moms on how to get past it or even just deal with it?

MummoloMom2010

Asked by MummoloMom2010 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's only been a few days...it's normal. I was very emotional when I would sing her to sleep. I just couldn't believe I had such an amazing little girl in my arms. Well, she's almost 2 and now I cry b/c I want to pull my hair out. so enjoy it and congratulations :) If you feel very moody and SUPER emotional you need to let your doc know. they gave me some safe meds for PPD when she was a few months old. At a few days, it's totally normal **hugs**
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Congratulations!! It is normal. Try to relax and enjoy. Call your Dr or the hospital and ask about new mom's groups if you think it might be helpful. Lots of times they mention these groups before you leave the hospital. Best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it is a good thing if you want to hold your baby. it is bad to not want anything to do with her. just think positive and keep up with your normal life. make yourself shower and get dressed. put make up on, clean house, go to the store, a walk, ect. it gets better!! and CONGRATS!!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I encapsulated my placenta and it really helped me.

I also soaked in the tub and cried. Some of the ladies from my church offered to be a crying phone bank so that if I wanted to talk on the phone and cry with someone I could.

You are normal. You should be in constant love with your baby and want to be with your child all the time.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:44 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You should mention this to your doctor and/or pediatrician. It's very normal to feel a little down/off and might not be much of a big deal, but it's good to have someone with medical experience helping out.

And try to get out of the house! Go for a short walk (take the baby in the stroller or sling if you want). I am a a big fan of getting some exercise and fresh air when you are feeling a little weepy.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010