Does any of you mothers out there have kids with learning disabilities?

I was wondering if any other mothers out there have any kids with learning disabilities. If so, do you have problems getting them to mind you? No matter what I do or say to my girls, they just will not mind anything I say. Sometimes bribing works but not always, even though I hate to do it. Any advice?
Please remember: If you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all! Thanks!!

mommaof3girls24

Asked by mommaof3girls24 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has autism. He has his moments where he doesn't mind,but he's getting alot better as he gets older.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• what ages have the learning disabilities? what types of disabilities ?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My girls are 5, 4, and almost 3. They all have the learning disabilities. They get speech, physical and occupational therapies.
    mommaof3girls24

Comment by mommaof3girls24 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• my daughter has cognative delays, i just have to be very consistant. time outs work wonders for me, however the conventional one minute per year of age does not work. i ask every few minutes why she is sitting there and she tells me. she usually has about 20 minutes in time out.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, I do and so does my sister. I have a son with autism and my niece is severely dyslexic. I stay consistent in my discipline. I use time outs and 1, 2, 3 Magic. Learning disabilities or not, discipline is still important.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My child has ADHD and I can relate! Some days I feel like I am losing it! I stay consistent and don't back down! It can be very hard to deal with, but it has been the most helpful.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We have 2 kids on the spectrum with numerous issues , they def have alot of trouble minding and with follow thru.also with impulse control. We use a very consistan rewards chart . They each have diff things they earn and lose for but both get a rewards pick when they reach 6 stickers, as they get better with the system and older we will make it higher goals. We have a treasure box that every week they get to go to the doller store for and pick out stuff to fill it with((That way they know what they are working for )).Then we work torwards the goal of 6 stickers, sometimes it takes a day sometimes a few days.

This has seriously cut down onthe behaviors, and aggression in our house and over all has them picking up and miding much better.:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• no my baby boy is only 9months i dont have learning problems yet but i hope when that time comes he learns & becomes smart
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My daughter has (PDD) its a branch of Autism and it get very frustrating cause some days she listen very well and other times its like she don't care what you say to her she will do what she wants or ignore you and seems like she pretends you didn't say anything. I do time outs alot too even thou my child is 3 i have her sit there for several mins before i let her get off the chair. Usally cause it takes that long for her to realise she done something wrong. But your a great mom just don't let them see that it makes you upset and do your best your not alone in that battle.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 1:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think they all have their moments
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010