strawberries going bad

i bought 2 boxes of 1 lb each of strawberries. 3 days ago. then (like always) i put them in the fruit compartment/drawer in my fridge. i used few from one of the box to make fruit salad day before yesterday. today i opened the same box and to my dismay all of the strawberries had gone bad. they had this yucky cotton-like fungus grown over them. to make matters worse same thing had happened with the other box of strawberries(not all, but half of the box had gone back). i always look thoroughly when buying my fruit. other than the strawberries i had grapes (sealed in a zip-lock bag) and a box of cherries in the same compartment (all of which were fine ofcourse). then what could have made my strawberries go bad ? any ideas ? please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Unfortunately you bought strawberries that were past peak ripeness, which is why they turned so quickly. You want to buy strawberries that are bright red with some green on them, not dark red--those are the over ripe ones, and unless you use them up within a day or two, they will go bad quickly.

If you can only buy the over ripe ones, you should keep them on a refrigerator shelf...not in the fruit bin, to help keep the air circulating, and to prevent moisture and the "fluffy white mold" from growing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• there was probably one starting to go bad when you bought it and you didn't notice the bad spot. if there's one bad they all go downhill pretty fast
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it may be because strawberries come in open containers. i always put mine in a bag as well. or you could always freeze them.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Strawberries do not last long 1 or 2 days. If you buy them, you better eat them very soon. We have the same problem.

Answer by louise2 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My rule of thumb is - when you buy strawberries plan on eating them the day you bought them or the next day - that's it - any longer and they will get fuzzy :o(
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• When I buy them I always have to eat them the day I buy them cause the same thing happens to me. I'm still yet to find a solution to keep them fresher longer.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:10 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I had that happen with a certain brand of raspberries. I took them back to the store. I read you are not supposed to store them in those plastic boxes that they come in because it makes them spoil faster.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Strawberries don't last long, no matter what. And that "yucky cotton-like fungus" is your run-of-the-mill mold.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have a tupperware container that extends the life of strawberries. Freeze them and use in smoothies.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Strawberries only last a couple of days. Trust me, eat bad strawberries and your stomach will hurt. I ate bad strawberries last week and was sick all night.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010