traveling while pregnant

what are the restrictions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You need to ask your OB - it all depends on if you are a High Risk Pregnancy, How far along you are, How far you want to go, By Air / Car or Sea.....
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• depends on how far along you are and your insurance. i have Tricare and after 36 weeks you had to have a note from your DR saying i twas ok to travel outside of a certain mile radius or something like that. in case you went into labor without this note you would be liable for the charges.
    also flying during the first and third trimester isnt advized.
    i moved from SC to KY when i was 6 months pregnant ,drove threw the mountains etc.etc. i also traveld from KY to SC when i was about 6 months along the third time. NOT fun but it CAN be done
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:07 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• if you're close to being due or high risk you're not supposed to go too far from your ob. also, you're not supposed to fly in your last trimester because they don't want you to get blood clots (the same goes for really long car trips). you should ask your ob what their reccomendation is based on your current condition
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I am High Risk so I've been told not to get longer than an hour away from the hospital since I was 20 weeks pregnant. Now that I am 27 she tells me no traveling at all.

With my last pregnancy which was not high risk they told me not to travel by airplane at all during the third trimester and only go about three hours away from the hospital during that time.

Usually if it's a normal pregnancy and you are not in the third trimester then it is okay but it is always wise to check with your OB.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:19 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Most airlines won't let you fly within a week or two of your due date. Other than that, it's all up to you and your doc.

I flew 3ish weeks before DD was born with no problems.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 8:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• how far along are you? If you are over 34 weeks there might be restrictions when you fly check with your airline. I went to Hawaii when i was 20wks, and no restrictions as long doc gives you the OK. Just remember when you flight for a long hrs you can't sleep you have to get up every hr or so to walk around to prevent blood clot. Also remember to bring snacks and a bottle of water.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We were transfered to a base in Germany when I was 7 months pregnant and flew for about 12 hours...yukkk....and it was fine. My ankles swelled but otherwise it was alright. My Doctor examined me a few days before the flight and he approved it. Just ask your Doctor.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 14, 2010