are inductions a normal thing? b/c my doc hasnt mentioned it and I'll be 39 wks tomorrow

w/ my last pregnancy my doctor actually scheduled an induction date when I turned 38 weeks and I thought it was weird (had her before though) but normal and this time the doc (different from last) hasn't mentioned it at all. They just keep saying we'll see you next week. I'm nervous that I will go over my due date and I'm just waiting for them to say we're going to induce you but they arent. :(

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 8:12 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• is it the same dr?
    i know my 2nd pregnancy the dr said he would induce till 41 weeks 3rd baby i was induced at 39 weeks.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 8:14 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• normally they only do them if there are complications. They will normally induce you once you get to 41 weeks.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it all depends on the doc really. some are really conservative...while others pretty much let you make the call.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:16 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• it depends on the Dr, if you have had any complications and so forth.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• you have alot of time to go. and if you went before 38 weeks before, i wouldn't be worried about being over the due date with this one. it is not normal for a dr. to talk about an induction unless you or the baby is having problems or you're over 40 or 41 weeks. gl though!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• no, inductions aren't normal.

babies come out when they are ready (unless there are complications of course) there is no reason to worry about going past an estimated date.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:17 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Because of all the controversy involved recently, some doctors will wait for the patient to ask about induction. That way the patient doesn't complain about being "pressured" into it. If he hasn't mentioned it and it's something you think you want to do you need to take the first step and ask about it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• No this is a different doctor. And i guess a week over isn't too bad. thanks for the responses
    DaGoodLife

Comment by DaGoodLife (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It depends on the doctor, but they are not routinely done unless you are post dates and there are complications. Two weeks past dates used to consider within normal but now it seems they don't wait that long.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i think it's sad if a health care provider mentions induction before 42 weeks unless there is a serious medical problem
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010