34 months and repeating words over and over again. it's often but but but but but but... is this a stutter?

i think he's just saying it over and over again while he figures out what he wants to say next but my husband is kind of concerned. i thought a stutter would be more like struggling to say a word like b-b-b-b-b- but....?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son's word can't keep up with his big ideas. My stepdad was worried it was a stutter. The teachers say no, he will grow out of it and he is almost 6.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:51 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i think you need to tell him to slow down. i had to tell my son..he would get all excited when he would talk and get thinkin about 10 things at once. i told him to slow down and think of what he had to say and then tell me slowly
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My DD does this with half her sentence (she will keep repeating that half of the sentence until she remembers or catches up with what she has to say) I hope she will grow out of it- it is quite annoying to hear every day...
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well my son says mama mama mama mama mama mama mama over and over again and no matter how many times I say what hun he still says it :) I think it is just a little kids thing :) GL
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• there is a stuttering stage, i think it was about that age. both of my older kids did it. it didn't last very long, maybe it was about 2 months.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I was worried about that with my son (when he was 4), and his preschool director assured me it is very common at the ages of 3 and 4, and they almost always grow out of it. I'd guess their thinking is just faster than their ability to express those thoughts in words.

He had a huge speech improvement near his 5th birthday, and I haven't heard a stutter since.

And yes, he stuttered words like you mention. I can't remember if he ever stuttered sounds like b-b-b-but, but he would repeat words a lot, maybe even whole phrases. I'm actually kind of sad I don't remember it well any more.

If it would make your husband feel any better, you can bring it up in 2 months at his 3 year doctor appointment.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My brother stuttered pretty bad when he was little. He would often repeat the words like that. I would talk to his doctor about it. If he is stuttering, he can take speech therapy that can help a lot. My brother is 21 now and for years will only stutter once in a blue moon. It may be nothing, though, and he may just stop doing it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i would check it out just to make sure
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Completely normal, all of mine have done it. My now 4 year old was the worst, his brain was just much faster then his mouth. I was actually concerned about it cause it was so much worse then any of my other kids, but after a few months it became less and less and now he doesn't do it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think its the age
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010