What is best for dry skin and faces?

My face around my hair and eyebr and my chin have flaky skin. I used different types of lotion and I still haven't found anything that works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Just wearing lotion won't completely rid you of dry skin. It may be a temporary solution but in order to see permanent and lasting results you could take some extra precautions.

You could start using moisturizing facial cleanser instead of regular soap. Soap strips your face of it's natural oils. Wearing sunblock everytime you leave the house is an EXCELLENT beauty tip. Sunblock protects your skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays that dry out and burn the skin. A moisturizing make-up could REALLY help out, as well. Most make-up contains alcohol which ALSO dries out skin. Buy a perfume and dye-free moisturizing lotion everytime you shower instead of scented lotions. Vaseline your dry patches at night..this helps lock in moisture.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have alot of dry skin on my nose too, with blackheads and whiteheads its horrible especially my huge pores on my nose and whenever I put on concealer neutrogena makeup you see all the flaky skin on my nose and around it, I hate it! nothing has worked for me:(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• As I said...buy a MOISTURIZING face wash and take good care of your skin by doing some (preferably all)  of the steps that I stated above. Nothing will magically work over-night (unfortunately). It takes good skin care and time to bring out the best for your skin.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I use Galatee Confort Milky Creme Cleanser by Lancome...it works wonders!!! It's made of honey and sweet almond extracts to condition and leave skin feeling clean, silky-soft and soothed. It's a bit pricey ($45.00 for 13 ounces) but WELL worth it..trust me! It works great for blackheads.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I use Oil of Olay moisturizing lotion. It is light plus has SPF protection. But AvasMommy810 is right it does take a while to regulate your skin. I have used the same stuff for years between makeup and moisturizer.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 6:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• As you can see, I am an Avon rep. We have a product called Moisture 24 Long-Lasting Hydrating Cream. I do not have dry skin so I do not personally use this product, but from the reviews, it works very well for flaky skin, plus it is very reasonably priced. If you would like to take a look at it, just go to my Avon website which is www.youravon.com/angiebrumbaugh. Choose shop by product line, then skincare and the brand "Solutions".
    As they said above, it does take a while to regulate skin, so you can't expect immediate results. :)
    AvonMomAngie

Answer by AvonMomAngie at 8:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• sounds like you might need to start by exfoliating your skin..it will remove excess dry flaky skin and then you should use a really good moisturizer. I represent a co. called Rodan+Fields Dermatologists and we have incredible products for all skin types! I'd love to tell you more or check it out at: http://jamieg.myrandf.com/
    I'd love to give you more info. if you want to contact me. :-) Jamie
    jrgorby19

Answer by jrgorby19 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Because my son has eczema, we had to buy him Cetaphill soap and lotion. Well I figured since the skin on my face would do the same as yours from time to time it wouldn't hurt to use as well. So I did. When I am in the shower I wash my face with the soap, and as soon as I get out, I put on the lotion. It has worked great, I have noticed that my face is less oily, and scaly. I have combination skin. It has gotten alot better. I also noticed that the redness around my cheeks has gone down as well. You might want to give it a shot. I have started taking these measures now that I am only 24 because I want to stay looking as young as I can.
    mammidearest

Answer by mammidearest at 10:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• just as mammidearest said, Cetaphil works terrific too!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• what is the skin on the rest of your face like? exfoliation is a great suggestion and using a good moisturizer but it kind of depends on what is going on with the rest of your face as well. is it dry as well but not flaking? is there oil any where else or do you break out? is there redness in the flaky areas as well?

if ever thing else is good, then you can definitely use a gentle facewash, possibly one for dry skin, exfoliate twice a week, use a good moisturizer, and maybe a moisturizing mask once or twice a week as well. if you skin is combination and you have oily areas or break outs, then you might have to change it up a bit.

which products have you tried and what is your budget?
    ibyanga

Answer by ibyanga at 7:30 AM on Oct. 8, 2008