What music you should or should not allow in your Christian home?

Music has a big influence on everyone especially our children.How do you handle different aspects of of the music industry?

lareashiaj

Asked by lareashiaj at 3:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• WELL I WOULDNT ALLOW ANYTHING WITH NEGATIVE INFLUENCE.... USALLY HARD ROCK, DEFFENTILY RAP AND HIP HOP...THINGS OF THOSE NATURE
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't think any particular style of music is bad - there are Christian bands in all types of music (for example, LG Wise is a Christian rapper, and POD is a Christian Metal band), but I would look at the individual bands and artists and see what their message is. Not just in how they look or the names of their songs, but in the lyrics. For example, POD has songs called Ghetto and Boom, but they're Christian songs with a very positive message. Here's some websites that have Christian artists with their more secular counterparts, for musical style comparisons.

http://www.nextwavefaithful.com/positive_music1.asp
    http://www.youthfire.com/media/compare/
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think if you get your kids interested in good music young thats what they will like to listen to on their own. some examples... introduce yourself to Jack Johnson he is one of my favorites. he is from hawaii and just sings kind of happy go lucky music. anything along those lines, Dave Matthews is good, and this guy named Michael Franti is also a good artist.
    danimarie93

Answer by danimarie93 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• The Music Genre doesn't bother me. It can be rap, hip-hop, classical, soft rock, heavy metal. (well not so much heavy metal here because I can't stand the sound of it, the same hold true for rap and hip-hop) Anyway, putting my personal preferences a side, the Music Genre doesn't bother me. It's the lyrics and messages that those lyrics send out that matter.

I'm a SAH-homeschooling-Mom. My kids are 6 and 7 and to be honest the only time they list to the radio is when we are in the car, and even then we list to one of the soft rock-family geared-radio stations. So they don't get much exposure, and if it's somethings that they should NOT listen to in my opinion then I just shut the radio off and pop in a CD. My kids fav song is "puttin' on the ritz" along with "8 days a week"
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I'm not so sure it's a "genre" that's bad...as one poster said even Christian music has rap and heavy metal. It's more about the lyrics and what message is being communicated. I personally love hard rock, but the message that comes across is definitely not what I want my children to hear, so I have found Christian Hard Rock artists that supply a more positive message.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I grew up in a house where we were not allowed to listen to "inappropriate" music... My mother was very strict about the music and film we had access to... We weren't even allowed to listen to Madonna because she had an abortion... And the Charlie Brown Christmas was right up there with Satan worship... I don't plan on doing that to my kids. As small children they will listen to what I put on. As teens and young adults they will (I'm sure) find their own taste. I don't plan on squashing that... But if I hear a song I feel isn't okay they won't be listening to it in my house. End of story. I think that sensoring the world around your kids just causes unpreparedness when they get out in the world and realize it's not all lollipops and gumdrops...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't censor my kids music.  I Iet them Iisten to what they want and what they Iike. 

They are oId enough to understand the difference between positive and questionable Iyrics, and I don't think they should be sheltered from the real world.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• When my children were younger, I never made issue with their preference to music style.... but I did make issue with the lyrics. They knew that it was the message in the music that I paid careful attention too. As they got older I had to let them choose their own lyrics too...... it's their place to find their place in their generation. I still listen to Christian music.... and they are very tolerant of that.... because I taught them tolerance. Through tolerance we eventually hear the message in the lyrics. The same still holds true, but my kids are old enough that we talk about our perceptions to the lyrics. Sometimes they are the same; sometimes different. Check out my profile page.... it's all Christian music.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:02 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It's not about the style of music but the message. I don't want filth in my home, if it has a message laden with sex, drugs, violence or language ~ it's not allowed. I listen to both Christian and secular music because all genres have good stuff. It's all about the message.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Before my son decided to give his life to the Lord and go into fulltime ministry I did have limits as to what was allowed in my home but that is not just limited to music, but includes certain tv shows as well as magazines. If the language is foul or promotes sex or uses God's name in a disrespectful way... it was and is not allowed. I have relatives who will visit and want to watch what they are watching in there home and I let them know it's not allowed. I'm not saying I listen to all "christian" music but what I do watch and listen to is something I would not be ashamed to listen to or watch with Jesus sitting next to me.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 7, 2008