When you are going to college....

And you apply late for finacial aid, and if it doesn't come into effect before you actually start, will it cover what you have already started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in

• you have usually by the first week of the semester to get your financial aid figured out, and if you cant and you cant pay out of pocket, then you need to drop your classes by the drop/add date. fasfa usually takes 2 weeks - 1 month to get your answer.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I know here where I live, you have to have your fafsa filled out before a certain time in order to start school and if not the tuition has to be paid withn 5 days of stating school.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I start Walden University this fall, and my financial aid has already been awarded, I even received my disbursement date as well. I'm just 20 credits from earning my bachelors degree. I believe if you're a new student, then you may experience a delay in your financial aid if you apply late. So if you plan on starting this fall, then you need to go on the FAFSA website and get started soon.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• That is a great question. I would love to find out the answer to. My daughter enrolled in our local community college and she is in the same situation as you are.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• You get approved for a particular amount prior to classes starting. You pre-register and then they give you an extension. Usually the 3-4th week of class the funds are dispursed-the classes are paid for and the remainder you get.

Before classes start, you can go to the book store on campus and use your book line of credit to buy your books and supplies.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It should cover any expenses for tuition, you may have to pay for books and wait for aide to come in to pay yourself back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It shouldn't take that long to get it probably by the 2d or 3rd distribution date. However, if that is not soon enough then go into the EOPS and see if they can help you.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I think it really depends on the college. I agree that you might have to pay for the books, though, unless you can wait to get them for a few days for the financial aid to go through. Even then, it might take a few days, so prepare to buy them, just in case. If you have to buy the books, check online, first, like Amazon.com. They have a few sellers that sell used textbooks for way cheaper than they would be at the bookstore. Sorry if I'm no help, that's just how it is here.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would ask your advisor
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:49 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would see your financial aid office. I start my 2nd semester of grad school on the 23rd.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2010