What do you do in this situation?

I have not hung out with a friend and had adult conversation all summer. My husband has been working the entire time too. So when my friend asked me to get the kids and come swim and a community pool..I went. When we got there one of my children (7yrs old) protested and refused to get out of the car..then refused to get near the pool. (he can swim) Its extremely hot outside and i know he was hot. He threw my towels and purse and everything in the dirt. People all around. He did not want to be there at all or swim in the pool. It took him to the bathroom and we had a firm talk. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good Job Mom! I would do the same. You do need some fun too! Your 7 yr old child needs to know who the boss is & that's YOU!
    You're the adult and you need your time away from the house too.
    Hopefully after your firm talk he had FUN! I would be totally upset with him to if he threw my stuff all over. He can't get his way with this and I'm so glad you put your foot down. GREAT JOB!!
    By the way, get out more and enjoy life :)
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:35 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would take him to the bathroom and spank his butt for thropwing the stuff down and all. Yeah I would say we are here, you can do this or that but not pitch a fit and we are STAYING here.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would have taken him into the restroom and done more than had a firm talk with him. I would have spanked him. Spare the rod, spoil the child. I don't always believe that but in this case your son was behaving like a spoiled brat. He needs to understand that he is the child and you are the adult. You make the decisions, not him. He needs to understand that certain behavior is just not acceptable. I would also take away his privlidges.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I have a 7 year old myself, so I am trying to put myself into your situation. I would definitely have taken my child into the bathroom, spanked her AND had a stern talking to her. Then I would have told her to enjoy herself at the pool because when we get home she is grounded. Then I would have made sure to follow through. I also think that it would be very unusual for my child to act this way about going to do something fun, so my question is WHY was he acting like that? Does he not like your friend/her kids?
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i would not have spanked him.
    i would have had a talk with him also, and probably taken away something as punishment for a while.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:47 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would have to wonder why your son didn't want to be at the pool. Most kids love the idea of going swimming. Yes, I would have been very angry with the behavior, but I would still have to question the cause behind it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't have thrown everything in the dirt, lol, but I would have had a firm talk with him as well. I would have explained that we were not going to go home because we had plans with someone and that it was rude to break them.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry. I misread that. I thought you said YOU threw the towels down, lol! My bad! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• LovingSAHMommy, the son threw the stuff, not the mother. I think that's what you meant, right?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:34 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I would have asked him why. Kids just want us to listen to them. I would certainly not have spanked him. Throwing things in the dirt didn't really hurt them. Just dust the dirt off and talk with the boy.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010