Do you care about funding for Children with Special Needs?

I know most Americans do not care about our children who have special needs. Our children depend on funding for programs for therapy and medical care. It is important to have a president who will care and take action to make our children's lives better. Obama has a better record than McCain and Obama's plan is better.

Here are some facts:
http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1232100/McCain_vs_Obama_Who_supports_children_adults_with_disabilities

akhlass

Asked by akhlass at 4:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Health

• I think funding for special needs is a top priority but sadly only us moms of special needs kids can see that in most cases ,unless you live everyday fighting for your kids and trying to get them the best care possible it is very hard to understand .
    MOMMYTO5CUTIES

Answer by MOMMYTO5CUTIES at 12:06 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I don't think its a matter of most people not caring. Most people do not understand and are not educated about what specials needs are. I wish I knew of better ways to get the word out to members of the non special needs (associated) population. We are now in the process of adopting a 13 year old girl who is mildly MR and has attachment disorders, and is way below her actual age in school and emotionally. I think if I had not met my husband and raised my step son this would not be something I would be doing. But I figure the best way to show the world is to keep loving these kids. Find homes for them, adopt, foster them etc, etc.... We need to just keep plugging on even when the train seems to run out of steam. Keep answering the annoying questions when out in public. It's a pain; some days I just don't feel like it but in the end it does educate. Irene
    Inquisitivelass

Answer by Inquisitivelass at 8:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Being the parent of a special needs child it is very important to me. Inquisitivelass, I totally understand having to explain behavior in public! Actually, I've stopped explaining and just saying "He's just being___" (his name) :D I care more about the insurance companies stepping up and paying for my DS's therapies pertaining to his autism. All that money for premiums and it doesn't benefit him.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with Austinsmom35's post above. Insurance companies need to get on board and start paying for the numerous therapies required by children who are dealing with neurobiological disorders; that is a bigger issue for me personally than special education funding since my kids get none of that. I'd prefer insurance kick in and help me pay the $10,000 I incur every year for effective treatment. I don't think McCain or Obama have what it takes to see to it that our children are provided for properly.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• As the mom of a grown son with cp, I definitely care. Here in Alabama, it seems the money for mh and mr is not spent wisely.
    I would like to see physsical education and therapy, as well as occupational therapy incorporated into the lives of all disabled children and adults.
    evelyngayle

Answer by evelyngayle at 10:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I CARE THERE SHOULD BE MORE FOR THEM MY DAUGHTER HOPE IS SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD AND WHERE I LIVE I CAN NOT GET A LOT TO HELP HER WITH HER ISSUES.I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME KIND OF DIFFERENT INSURANCE FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN.AND DO SOMETHING WITH THESE SCHOOLS.WHERE I LIVE I FEEL LIKE PEANUT WHEN I AM TALKING TO THE SCHOOL IT'S NEVER WHAT IS BEST FOR THE CHILD IT'S ABOUT MONEY.
    rose21803

Answer by rose21803 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2008