water breaking..?

I have heard that you can feel it pop and i also have been told that you cant. i understand that not everyone is the same. But say you were going to the restroom, would you be able to tell the difference from your water breaking and going to the bathroom??

Mandalxl

Asked by Mandalxl at 10:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had mine broke by my doctor to progress labor- it just feels like a gush of fluid coming out involuntarily (no pop feeling though).
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 10:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• you can totally feel it. The gush of water is unmistakable. That and urine has a very distict smell, that your water will not have

Mine broke while I was laying in the hospital bed. it was so gross.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:20 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes, your water breaking is a gush and not really a sensation, you can feel lighter and less pain and pressure after your water breaks and it's sudden. I had to have my water broken in a simple way, and all the pressure and pain that I felt went away and I was able to relax after a full night and day of labor pains.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I heard an audible pop but I also had too much amniotic fluid. I was under pressure like a water balloon. I was sitting on the toilet to pee and it sounded like someone had dumped out a large cup of in toilet rather than the usual sound of a stream of pee. I got up took a few steps and another warm gush ran everywhere.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• oh you'd tell lol. with dd, i had just layed in bed. i had been spotting earlier that day, so i had a pad on. all of a sudden i felt this gush, the first thing that hit my mind was "omg i'm bleeding!" i hopped outta bed so fast i actually made it to the bathroom (it helped that it was right next to me lol) and didn't get it on the bed thanks to the pad, sat on the toilet and it just kept coming and coming...there's ALOT of amniotic fluid in there, and you don't stop gushing the stuff till after you have that baby...dh covered the front seat with towels before we left, thankfully the hospital was only 3minutes alway, across from my neighborhood. so you'll definitely know if you pop that it's not urine. however, it is possible to have a slow leak...i've never experienced that before though so not sure how that feels
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, you can hear a pop, and there is a way to tell if you were just tinkeling on yourself or if your water had broken. When your water breaks, it continues to leak and you will always feel a "damp" sensation, whereas tinkeling on yourself stops when youre done.
    halliebug

Answer by halliebug at 10:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Thanks Ladies. It's just something that has been bothering me, like would i really know if it happened if it was a gush all at once. And do the contractions hit alot harder after your water breaks? Every once in a while it feels like i have peed myself but i haven't so im not sure if its just going to be a slow process or not. Just worried thats all. This is my first baby thats why im full of questions.
    Mandalxl

Comment by Mandalxl (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• yes, the contractions will be totally worse after you water breaks. the water there is sort of like a cushion, and when that cushion is gone, you know it. hurts like crap too. GL, i know i was worried during my first pregnancy. i ended up with a c section with him though, so i had nothing to worry about.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My contractions felt better after my water broke. It took all the pressuree off. I had a water birth and I could still here the pop under the water. It came out like a jaccuzzi jet. My DH was knd of impressed by the force of the fluid. He had no idea I was working that hard to push a baby out.

Some women have slow leakers though. All within the range of normal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I had low fluid and was induced and I had no pain for 18 hrs and as soon as they broke my water I could feel it rush out and I was thinking man if this is low fluid I wonder how it fells if it were normal. I did feel a snag when they broke my water but I think that was because they broke it. My contractions hit me full force about 5 min. after they broke it.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010