How long to potty train your child?

Just wondering what the average time it took to potty train your child and at what age did you start?

mamahertz

Asked by mamahertz at 10:38 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So far we have only been potty training for about one and a half weeks and we are almost there. She is in underwear most of the day and the only thing that we are having trouble with is pooping in the potty and we had a break through with that today. YAY. She is 2 years and 2 months old.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• We started at about two and half. Our dd seemed ready, so we gave it a try. We bought her a potty and put her in pull-ups during the day. It took quite a while. Then a friend gave me a book... Once Upon A Potty. Every time I went to the bathroom, I took her with me and sat her on her own potty and read the book to her. That became our routine. She was so focused on the story that it made potty training very easy on both of us. There are versions for boys and girls and the book does describe the potty parts in a nice way. I recommend it to everyone!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• It took my daughter a few weeks she was potty trained before she turned 3. But my son just started going on his own a month ago and he turns 3 in oct
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:41 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I can't get my 2 1/2 yr dd to go potty in her chair.Everytime I tell her or mention it to try to get her to sit on her potty chair she gets mad and tells me "No Potty" and takes off..She doesn't want to try.At first she was all excited but now she doesn't want to.My older 2 kids were so easy.they were trained b4 they were 2 1/2.
    brokenheartmom

Answer by brokenheartmom at 10:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My daughter has started the potty training process. I noticed that she peed on the floor every night before her bath. I got her a potty and she started sitting on it before her bath. She was about 17 months old so I wasn't in a hurry just getting her used tot he idea. She started peeing on it. She is 18 months old and will ask me to change her diaper. She has been bringing me a diaper when she is poopy for a couple of months now. I showed her the sign for change diaper and now she tells me she wants to be changed and then she will usually go sit on her potty. She doesn't always pee. I am in no hurry, I am just introducing it to her. I am letting her lead me int his process.

My second son started peeing on the potty when he was about 2 and was finally potty trained when he was 3. I used a modified 3 day method with him and he caught on really quickly.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 10:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I started when my son showed all the readiness signs, he was 2.5. I did my own "3-Day Method"(there wasn't one back then) and it took 4 days. He was day and night trained. We did NO pull-ups. Straight to underwear. I took him every 15 minutes to "try". When this was routine, I upped it to 30 minutes and kept that up until he started telling me or going on his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010