what surprises did you get from your garden this year?

the rabbits ate my green beans, but they are back!!!
we will get our beans!
swiss chard came back as well!

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I didn't plant pumpkins, but 2 of them grew lol
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well - I got a voluntary tomato plant! Thats a good surprise I guess- Still hasn't made tomatoes yet but it is sure big! I wonder what kind or tomatoes it will be? (It grew up in my eggplants!) LOL
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:03 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I'm not sure what was eating my beans but the tracks were not noticeable and my garden was already completely fenced in. Didn't find any areas where rabbits had dug under. With talking to some neighbors they mentioned turkeys and sure enough I had wild turkeys flying in and eating the my bean plants. I have pole beans growing on a trellis so I put chicken wire around the trellises and the turkeys were unable to get to them. I have been enjoying purple and green pole beans for a week now!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• A squirrel at my only ripening tomato a few weeks back. Luckily the rest are finally starting to turn. We started our seeds a little late.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I got a mini decorative pumkin and a cantalope that I never planted.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• One of my squash plants died, and I mean it was dead, nothing left, just a dried up stem on the ground dead, but somehow it came back and now there are two butternut squash out there waiting to be harvested.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have something growing that is vining into my tomato plants have no idea what it even is my dh says since I use it for a dumping compost ground that where I dump everything besides meat, bones whatever it is probably something we got at the pumpkin patch last yr and I have it growing now we'll wait and see it looks like some kind of squash
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Volunteer Sunflowers and Zinnias in areas that we didn't seed for them. I love just letting my garden grow what it wills.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• An unhappy surprise - the deer pretty much ate everything but the zinnias are coming back.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2010