We are thinking about getting a puppy or kitten. Do you think pets are ok around babies?

s.gerhold0513

Asked by s.gerhold0513 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get a dog that is around a year old. They are old enough to be potty trained or easily potty trained. If you have a house doggie doors are fantastic. You know what you are getting in a dog; how big they will be, personality, ect. I would never get a pit bull or mix. I know there are nice pit bulls and pit bull lovers but there are so many other breeds you don't need to risk it. I think an ideal dog would be a labradoodle or goldendoodle from a shelter or rescue. They are hard to find. They have the good aspects of a lab or golden retriever with the lower shed and lower allergy of a poodle. They are usually really goofy cute. I'd love to have a doodle dog. They are outragious to buy. Cats and babies are great.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• yes, as long as you supervise them when they are together.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Animals and kids/babies can be a wonderful combo! But this decision kinda depends more on how much you can handle. We have a cat and I would be happy getting another one with a baby in the house because cats don't need all that much attention. But a puppy... we REALLY want a dog, but honestly I don't know if I can give the puppy enough attention with a baby in the house (and that wouldn't be fair to the dog or anyone else). We are going to wait a few years, but that's just us.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Nothing wrong with a pet and a baby. Growing up together will be good for both of them. You will just have to make sure you keep an eye on both the pet and your baby so that you don't have any accidents between the two or anything else happening that would put them at danger.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Well, I worry about a puppy being just too hyper... accidents can happen even if I am there.
    s.gerhold0513

Comment by s.gerhold0513 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• when my dd was about 10 months we got a pit puppy. he was so energetic! he would run through the house and knock her down. step on her feet. stuff like that. but he never got rough with her while they were playing, and now that the dog is 2 and she is 3 he is like her best friend. and very protective!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• YES YES YES
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:32 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Puppies are a lot of work, especially with a baby. Are you intereted in adopting an older dog? One already house trained?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Honestly I think getting a puppy (don't know anything about kittens) is a terrible idea when you have a baby or even a toddler. If you want your puppy to housebreak easily and to not chew up everything in sight, you need to be watching that puppy like a hawk. And IMHO, watching a puppy like a hawk while you have a baby or toddler that you are also watching like a hawk isn't going to work out so well. When the puppy acts like it's going to pee, you don't have time to put the baby in the play pen before you scoop up the puppy to take it outside before it goes on your floor. I think the kid should be at least 4 before you get a puppy. A young adult dog that has been fostered and knows basic commands and manners is fine, but puppy, no.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2010