How are some of you getting such big kids?

LOL..no offence, I am really curious. I just read about a 35lb 7month old and a 44lb 2.5y/o. My son was born at 7lb 5oz and stayed on the 50% curve his whole life until he was about school age and he is now under 5% for weight. He is 14y/o and weighs 87lbs. He has always eaten lots and even eats junk. As a baby, he drank like a whole can of concentrate formula a day. He ate tons of food when he started in addition to the whole can. Is it metabolism or genetics or food amount?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:22 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• oh my!!!
    my kids have always been at the bottom of the curve....in fact a dr. suggested a growth hormone for my son!
    imo, you can't get that average number without having someone at the bottom of the curve, and someone else at the top of the curve! as far as height and weight goes, come on doc's...it is ok to be average, above average and below average too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My husband is 6'7"
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:24 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My kids are runts so I wonder the same thing. My 5 year old looks like she will pass for a Pre-K when she starts school. My 3 year old still wears 18-24 month old pants. My oldest one looks her age though.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Some of it, if not most of it, has to be metabolism as well as genetics. My best eater is my smallest child, she will be 3 in November and weighs 24 lbs. But, I weight 108 lbs myself (I'm 5'4"). I never diet, don't exercise, I'm just skinny. It's purely genetic.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• i have wondered the same thing. My son is 4 weighs maybe 32 lbs and is 37 inches tall where my nephew who is 2 weighs more than he does. I don't get it my son eats and eats and eats all day, today at the fiar he had aone of those huge turkey legs, a corn dog, cotton candy and Dippin Dots lol.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 11:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• My kids were both peanuts for a long, long time.
    My 23 year old daughter stands about 5' and weighs less than 100lbs.
    My 19 year old son is 5-10" and probably goes 150, when wearing his cement shoes-

My husband is tall and thin. I am petite, but not as tiny as my daughter.
    My son eats tons-and lots of crap.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:25 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Oh my gosh, my daughter is so small for her age, born 5lbs 11 oz and 18inches long. I would say if he eats a lot it's metabolism, or something is def. over active in his body! I was big due to my lack of eating, is he really active? If the Dr's think it's fine there is nothing to worry about. I would say you can't make him eat more than he does, but remember some day that metabolism of his will decline and he will continue eating all of the junk that he has his whole life, and that won't due him well when he's 40 and has failing organs.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• growth hormones in animals has a lot to do with big babies.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I don't know, my family has naturally muscular/athletic physiques. My friend mentioned how some people come into her job and buy powders, like protein pwder, but it's carbs, just so they can gain weight
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:33 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Not height...I am talking weight.

My dad's dad was 6' 8.5" and he is 5'7". I was born big, but, was a anorexic looking kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Aug. 14, 2010