Suffer with anxiety??

I have fibromyalgia but also suffer with a lot of anxiety and stress. I was wondering if anyone else had these symptoms with fibro or if it was just me and seperate from my fibro?

amyanne2010

Asked by amyanne2010 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Health

• I have suffered from Anxiety for years now. Then about three years ago I was diagnosed with Fibro. I have noticed that Stress makes both the Fibro and the anxiety worse. Stress can also make your Fibro act up and the pain can trigger your anxiety. I don't know that they go hand in hand but I do know that it is very possible to have both. Hope this helps.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:45 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• A lot of things can set off anxiety and panic attacks. I've had anxiety disorder for years and no one can figure out what set it off. I do take medication for it but still have some really bad days. Have you talked to your doctor about it?? After dealing with GP's for almost 2 years I finally went to a psychiatrist who specializes in medications, she helped me so much and I got a lot better after that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 11:46 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• anxiety is something that happens for many people. i can tell you the herb lemongrass helps with anxiety problems and the only symptoms you can get from it is dry mouth and contact dermatitis, which is a lot less problems that you would get from taking something the Dr. gave you. If you want more hints from natural herbs join my group and ask away! http://www.cafemom.com/group/111570
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I've had anxiety for a while, and I am also in constant pain. They could very well be related, but it would be hard for medical professionals to make a definite connections between the two, I would think. Forgive me for asking a question in response to your question, but what kind of doctor did you go to that gave you your diagnosis? I've been going to a chiropractor, but that's not helping, and they did x-rays and blood tests to test for arthritis, but I haven't heard from them. The symptoms of fibro sound exactly like what I go through every day, I just don't know what kind of doctor to talk to about it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have suffered for years and saw many different doctors and specialists and a so many different tests I quit counting. :) But I finally was referred to a rheumetologist (sp?) who diagnosies and treats Fibromyalgia. I think that most of them do. He was the most thorough doctor I've ever been true. He seemed to believe I was in pain. Started me on some new meds and having me come back a month later to see how they are working and if we need to change anything. So far so good. I feel blessed to have found him. I have to drive and hour to get there but it is worth it to find someone who believes me! I have a friend that when she graduated medical school to be a pyschians assistant told me when I asked that she was taught that fibro was a b.s. disease that doctors tell patients who are hypochondriacs to get them to leave him alone. That discourage me for a long time to get treatment but its getting more accepted everyday :)
    amyanne2010

Comment by amyanne2010 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have fibromyalgia, and one of the "side effects" that goes along with it is anxiety, depression, insomnia, irritable bowel syndrome to name a few! You're not alone!
    diamondsgirl

Answer by diamondsgirl at 2:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I've thought I have fybro but have not been diagnosed I do have anxiety, depression, and IBS weird I guess I need to go see my dr.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your replies :) It kinda helps to know that it is connected to fibro and not just more problems I have. If that makes sense, lol. Hopefully when I get my sleep all straightened out and on a steady med schedule, I can get some of this stuff more normal. Some of my anxiety is turning somewhat OCD lately. I've always wanted things organized, even, and have a place for everything, but it is definately becoming obsessive to the point of my family noticing and taking up my day and every thought. Dont know if its the new meds or lack of sleep. We will see :)
    amyanne2010

Comment by amyanne2010 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Thank you amy, I hope you get to the point where you can manage the pain and anxiety better. I really appreciate you sharing your experience and giving advice. It's a shame that people are being taught that it's a b.s. syndrome. Too many people have it for it to be b.s. Best of luck to you, hun.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010