Have you ever made homemade bread?

How did it turn out? What advice do you experienced moms have for novice bakers?

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 11:53 PM on Aug. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My Bread Machine was donated to charity, I found it useless. I suck at kneading so my mom gave me a Kitchen Aide mixer. My bread comes out perfect every time. I use a very simple rustic Italian bread recipe. I use my microwave as a proof box. No mess, no fuss and warm bread weekly!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• All the time and it turns out great. Use the simplest recipe possible. If yeast confuses you, find a recipe that uses rapid rise instead of regular so you don't have to proof it in sugar and water, plus the dough only has to set for 10 minutes. Then you can shape it and let it rise then bake. Make sure your liquid temperature never goes above 120-130 or you will kill the yeast.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:57 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes, I have. I have a bread maker. I use it all the time. I make roll dough in there too.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I LOVE making bread! All different kinds. Follow the recipe really, you don't need a bread machine just strong hands and arms to kneed like crazy! I can tell you how to make cheesy bread, onion bread, garlic bread all with the same dough recipe, if you are interested in baking tips and recipes for backing join my sight http://www.cafemom.com/group/111570 always welcoming new people!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• I started making my own bread and I haven't bought a loaf of bread since about April or May. We have a bread cookbook and I've just been going through it, trying different breads that seem relatively easy. I don't have a bread machine. I just use my Kitchenaide mixer with the dough hook. I have killed the yeast once or twice, but I'm starting to get the hang of it now. We just eat the bread anyway. Even if the bread isn't very good, it's usually not too bad toasted or made into grilled cheese.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I make homemade breads, rolls, buns, tortillas, pitas, etc. all the time; store bought bread is just not good enough in this house & my family won't eat it unless they're desperate!
    I do have 2 bread machines and a KitchenAid mixer that I use to mix doughs. I used to make it by hand but have developed arthritis in my wrists & kneading bread for 10 minutes will leave me in pain for the rest of the day.
    Tips:
    * Do not use water that is too warm, it will kill your yeast. If you have a thermometer that will go low enough, actually measure the temp of your water before using it. What we think is warm is usually too warm for yeast. When in doubt, use lukewarm water.
    * Kneading is very important for the crumb/texture of your bread. Too little kneading and you'll have a coarser crumb/texture.
    * I use unbleached flour & have no problems because of the recipe I use, but bread flour is recommended for best texture/rising.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i have tried and failed many times!
    i am no good with dough.
    one day i will take a class!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 14, 2010

• Yes. I have made an old-fashioned recipe WITHOUT a bread machine that takes literally all day (having to wait for the yeast to rise several times), and in a bread machine with both instant (box) and scratch recipes, and they have ALWAYS come out perfectly! The key is making sure you measure ingredients properly and that you have enough yeast.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, not too often because I do not need to eat additional bread.

i also make all my own pizza doughs.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• oh no i've never tried although i think of it quite often. im getting inspiration so perhaps i'll try though i am a terrible cook LOL
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010