Engagement rings?

Am I crazy for not wanting a diamond for an engagement ring? My SO is insisting on a diamond because it's tradition but I think they are too plain and want a colored gemstone. I will take what I get don't get me wrong but am I crazy?

BabyBreyen

Asked by BabyBreyen at 8:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Relationships

• No your not crazy, I have a claddagh ring that's my engagment ring along with the matching wedding band, mine has a saffire in it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't think you are. I know that my sister has s diamond with 2 yellow diamonds on either side. I understand that it should be a surprise and that you will be happy with whatever you get. If I were you I would suggest that maybe he could look at getting a diamond with a colored stone on either side of it.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think a colored stone would be cool for an engagement ring... I would like to get a new set with a ruby as that is my birthstone... It's ok to be different...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with going the non-traditional route and having a ring that isn't a diamond! I think that it's a pretty cool idea
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• yes u could get a diamond that has color or u could just get a ring that has a nice diamond with color stones around it that would be beautiful... no ur not crazy.. ur unique.... congrats!!
    heavensent1174

Answer by heavensent1174 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• nothing wrong, but you can get a colored diamond.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You aren't crazy. My engagement ring doesn't even have a stone of any kind in it. It is just stainless steel in the shape of flowers.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:41 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have a diamond with two saphhires (spelling) on the side... its unique. Maybe that would be a good compromise.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I put a garnet in my husbands wedding ring along with 6 small diamonds. The garnet is heart shaped, the stone in his little guy's birthstone as well as mine, There are other stones that could be used in place of a diamond, the diamonds ocul dbe used as a filler or as accent stones.
    Steph1977

Answer by Steph1977 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008