my daughter is always throwing a tantrum, but i dont wanna spank her for it cuz of the autism. What should i do?

but it seems like if she doesnt get her way she throws a fit. and it could be the smallest thing from one shoe fell off or she doesnt wanna wear a certain type of clothing. also she eats the same things 0over and over again.

hmj4life

Asked by hmj4life at 12:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try talking to her Dr for ways to deal with her tantrums. Maybe try a time out.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• At her age, she should be receiving services through the local public school district and you should be able to ask for help from the staff , especially a behavioral specialist if they have one on staff. For sensory issues, an occupational therapist w/training in sensory processing disorders should be able to help. A speech therapist can help with communication issues and possibly feeding issues if the ST has the appropriate training. A counselor or other behavioral specialist can help you to learn how to work with your DD and handle her tantrums or, better yet, anticipate and prevent them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:28 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i have a child almost like that she is in the branch of autism (PDD) and so i know how you feel with the hole tamtrums thing. I do time outs with my daughter seen she dosen't understand what she really dose wrong so to show her how you feel as telling her you made me very made and this is not good what you did and i sit her in time out with no toys and turn off the tv. it seems to work in most cases. Other time we just ingore her. I know its frustrating but i think they do the tantrums for more then just one reason too. Like they could be doing it to get addition and two to show you there emotions too seen they don't know any other way to show it . I know my daughter dosen't say much at all and all she dose is grunt and say no alot and give a tantrum to something she dosen't like. I do thou agree with mom2aspclboy with the theapy to help thou with the issues too they are good at helping out with that sort of thing.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 1:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Mom2 thank you. Sh is in a special education class for speech and other things. I tried time outs with her it doesn't work she just gets out of where she is supposed to be or start throwing a bigger tantrum. She also has a big problem of yelling and talking load.
    hmj4life

Comment by hmj4life (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• To artzone. I know what u mean we try to ignore her sometimes, but it's hard to cuz she screams when she crys. She also sucks her thumb and rubs on silk. It's a big comfort thing. She used to have a therapist when she was in this program called baby steps. I'm going threw regional center now. There supposed to be getting her a therapist again. Also I'm having a lot of trouble potty training her. Any suggestions for that.
    hmj4life

Comment by hmj4life (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Time outs. Sit down and talk to her about what she is doing wrong and why its wrong
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010