Do you think technology is changing the way children think?

I was reading an article where they have done scientific studies. It said that children that are growing up being on the computer all the time changes the hardwiring of the brain. They have shorter attention spans, they skim instead of actually reading, and actually have different thought processes. What do you think?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 1:27 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My children are proficient on the computer, but I refuse to buy video game systems. Their time on the computer is strictly for educational purposes. I fully intend on teaching them how to search for a book at our library, and how to extract critical information, and write a solid paper on the subject. In the 4th grade class I teach, the majority of students had no idea how to search for basic information on a technology assignment they were given....but ask them about their Facebook/Myspace pages or how to text their friends and then will leave your head spinning!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Sounds like it might be true. You know it has to be doing something different than growing up without the computer. Heck I even see a difference in myself. If my internet goes down for more than an hour, I start having an anxiety attack, wondering what the heck am I supposed to do with myself!! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I definitely think there is a big difference compared to when we were growing up! Computers are a good thing, but I think kids don't have a life since the have become so popular!! I was talking to my husband the other day about this topic. Can you imagine what the GPS has brought?? No one can read a map anymore...now that's sad. I LOVE MAPS!!!!
    MoMandGrandMaX2

Answer by MoMandGrandMaX2 at 1:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think technology is changing the way everybody thinks...
    mUstBdeStiny08

Answer by mUstBdeStiny08 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• There may be some truth to that
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2010