Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with tips on how to win custody of my son.

I am a single mom and have already been through the system and my son's father was granted "joint custody". Since all of that, he has not paid a dime of support, has barely seen my son and to top it all off, he has been using drugs and while he was watching my son, I came home to him getting high while watching my son. I have put in a petition for full custody and I can't afford a lawyer, so I need tips on what to say and how to go about this. I only have one wek left. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by vannimom at 8:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Bring up the drug use...they'll have you both tested. If he's getting high while watching your son that is definitely not a safe environment!

    Answer by KennsWifey at 8:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • He will still be able to see him even with you having full custody. You really need to have some kind of proof someone not related to you that has seen him doing these things. Has he gone to jail for drugs? When you came home and saw him getting high with your son you should have called the police. Child support and custody don't go together and usually they won't count child support against him in court. Full custody only means you are the only one to make decisions for your son and he will still have his visitation. Try and get supervised visitation so, you can be sure of what he is doing around your son and your son still gets to see his father. And see if the judge will order mandatory drug tests before he comes to see your son. And call child support enforcement about the child support.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Bring the drugs up and request that he get drug tested, they will test you also nd document everything including the times and dates.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Call your local Bar Association. Tell them you are looking to see if you qualify for legal help for free. They will direct you from there. Doing this on your own can be hard, especially if he gets an attorney.

    Answer by jms124 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.