My CJ is 2 months now and I want to start him on a schedule. Is it too early? And if it isn't how do I accomplish this?

CJ has yet to sleep through the night and is slightly coliky so he's easily upset at night. He eats every 3-4 hours but its very off and on and he drinks anywhere from 3 to 6 oz. I want to at least try to get him to sleep through the night instead of sleeping all day and then up all night. And I want to get him to drinking almost the same amount of milk also. Is this possible?

CVJJmom

Asked by CVJJmom at 8:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Scheduling babies (particularly younger babies) is commonly linked to 'failure to thrive'.

Babies needs should be met on demand - sleeping/eating/cuddles should all be when baby decides.

At 2 months - 'sleeping through the night' comes with an added risk of SIDS - babies that young wakes frequently during the night - they have very small stomachs and needs to be fed often.

Let your baby decide his own routine - he does not work by a clock or a measuring jug.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• You could keep him up during the day. Play with him, talk to him, keep him active let him take regular naps and he may sleep longer at night. But, very few babies sleep through the night. And the feeding part, he will eat as much as he feels he needs at that time, you can't control that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My youngest was the same way, she had her days and night backwards. What I did was I started keeping her up as much as possible during the day and then she would sleep at night. after a week her schedule was much better.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• To sleep all night i would just keep her as active as possible during the day and have a night time routine that allows her to expect what's next.

With a baby you just have to be consistant. Have the same schedule EVERY day for at least 3 weeks. GL
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Would you want someone to decide when you eat, how much you eat, and when you go to sleep and how much you sleep? What if you were hungry and you had no way of getting food and you weren't able to speak? What if you weren't tired and someone kept putting you in bed? I don't think schedules are a good thing because they teach the baby to ignore their natural instincts. They might get used to someone telling them when they are hungry and when they are tired and not be able to pick up on these things later on in life. Sorry if that sounded mean at all.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• no its not to early.. i started my son on a schedule when he was 4 weeks old, at 7pm we get him ready for bed, bath, etc, massage, then we read to him, and rock, and last bottle or last nursing. Then we put him on his tummy and he falls asleep in about 15 min, we usually have to make a few trips into his room to comfort him, but then quickly leave. At 8am, he wakes up, he's fed, then we take dad to work, and come home, he's hungry, then i nurse him then he goes down for a nap, then play time, another feeding, then we do what we need to do if there are chores, granted, he also likes his down time, no stimulation, at 5pm we pick up dad, and then start it all over.. babies love routine.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008