Difference between chocolate milk and soda?

I recently heard that chocolate milk has more sugar in it than a can of soda. How much do you let your child drink of either one? The milk has more vitamins but does the sugar over-ride them? My 2 and 1/2 year old neice drinks several cups of choc. milk a day and is gaining an extreme amount of weight. Is that the same as giving her a six pack of soda? Your thoughts? :)

amyanne2010

Asked by amyanne2010 at 2:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure, but I'm glad my kids don't like chocolate milk. I can't imagine that it would be better than soda. Juice is also loaded with sugar.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Milk contains sugars on its own, but natural ones, in comparrison to soda...juice as well(with no sugar added) still contains natural sugars. Now add the chocolate and not only do you add sugar but calories.IMO you can give a child chocolate flavored milk, using ovaltine or something that contains less sugar, more vitamins, or reg chocolate mix just less./ My ex used to turn his choc milk dark brown he used so much. diet soda is sugar free and calorie free but doesnt really have any health benefits-the one exception I like is the Coke Plus, with vitamins...anyways,I think if your neice is packing on weight, ...what type of milk is it? fat free is a good choice, but even that has calories. maybe she needs a helpful aunt to introduce her to flavored calorie free icy cold water? :) lots of choices in flavors now...or hey lemons and limes in water adn than she can help...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• It depends on the type of chocolate milk. I am looking at a can of coke and a jar of Ovaltine. Coke has 39 grams of sugar per can. Ovaltine has 18 grams of sugar per 4 tbsp serving. When I give my kids Ovaltine, I NEVER use 4 tbsp!! I usually put a teaspon or two in it. I think the chocolate milk theory goes more towards the commercially prepared milk in bottles like Nesquik because that has all sorts of junk in it like HFCS and has about 30 grams of sugar. The Nesquik powder has less.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Also, I never use full fat milk. I go with 1% or less.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I agree with Bearsjen about the flavored water. My two boys love that vitamin water. But some have extra calories, so read the labels.
    write4change

Answer by write4change at 3:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My sister saw this thing of chocolate milk powder that I bought and my oldest DD said, "Yeah, I don't even know why she bought that. She never lets us have any." lmfao.

We use 2% milk and they will get chocolate milk every once in a while. NOT every day but maybe once or twice a week. I would NEVER give them soda if I could help it. (And I don't.) I think everything in moderation is good. If a kid goes without ANY kind of... ANYTHING, they are more likely to pig out and over-eat/over-drink when they actually GET whatever it is. When I was growing up, we hardly EVER went out to eat. Once I made my own money and supported myself, I went out to eat a lot. We're working on it now. We maybe go out once a week now.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't give my kids chocolate milk. I definitely think it's just added calories and sugar! It's like adding flavoring to water - why can't kids just learn to enjoy straight water? Even milk without chocolate has a lot of sugar, and my ped recommended my son not have more than 2 cups of milk/day.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Soda has no nutritional value at all. So if there has to be a choice chocolate milk is the better choice. Also it depends on how much chocolate is added. If the milk is turned to a dark brown then it is full of sugar. Also, sugar is proven to be addicting! If a child is gaining weight from chocolate milk I would bet the diet is full of other sources of sugar as well. A lot of cereals are loaded with sugar as well as, juice among other things. All a child needs is two small glasses of milk and water throughout a day. I give my children as a treat chocolate milk every now and then. The milk just turns a little brown. The kids love it because they do not know it any other way so a little seems like a real treat for them.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Our daughter is only a year old, but right now she gets breastmilk or water. She's never had juice and won't get cow's milk until she weans which won't be for awhile. At home my husband and I drink water and unsweet tea, sometimes milk. So, as she gets older, if she doesn't drink water or milk, she's not drinking anything.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• If my GR-son is over I give him Ovaltine w/fat free milk because that's the milk we drink, but he doesn't always ask. In the winter he likes me to warm it up for him. I never buy choc. milk for him.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2010