Are you a member of the working poor?

There are citizens for whom the American Dream is out of reach despite their willingness to work hard. Struggling to simply survive, they live so close to the edge of poverty that a minor obstacle, such as a car breakdown or a temporary illness, can lead to a downward financial spiral that can prove impossible to reverse.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 2:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• We a lot of the times grin and bear it; and have had things that have had several of these minor obstacles as you call them. However, I don't believe that anyone is outside the grasp of the "American Dream". It's a dream that does require HARD work! What I think that prevents people from having the "American Dream" is keeping up with the "Jones"; Trying to live way outside your means; The I need it now line of thinking; and just over like decline of faith and hope.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think that SAHinIL2, nailed it! That is the problem with 95% of America. That and they don't know what "hard" work is. In my town, there are great jobs to be found. Every day the paper is loaded. But, employers are having trouble finding applicants. Yet, I see, tons of people out walking around downtown everyday on the streets- not working. We own businesses in four states. We sat at one place one day, with a great paying management job--- all day, not one applicant. Everyone was unemployed and living on unemployment. Now what could our assumption be?? That's the problem.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I agree with SAH. When one is in the working poor they still can make it, they just need to make some sacrafies and give up the luxuries for awhile until they do make it. Many people who are not working poor have done those things and that is why they're not poor now.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Actually sadly enough, it is Statistically being shown that you are 110% correct, and in fact the US Chamber of Commerce has even recently reported that A. There will be NO MORE working middle class in the next 10 years, and B the only wealthy people that will exist will be the Self Employed Entraprenuer.

That all being said, is EXACTLY why I have my Home Based Business and we are Flying off the charts and that is exactly why my passion in LIFE is to help as many family's do the same..so that when the car breaks down or Insurance can't cover the illness or something of such happens we are pre-pared for it.

The fact is if you don't change something, you can never have different results than you currently do.

Belief and Hard work has already completely turned my life around in less than 1 year.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2010