No child left behind... does it work?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I dont agree with the no child left behind. When my youngest was in 1st grade, she was behind in alot of things, math, reading mostly. BUT she scored very well on the CRCT (standardized test) and the teacher was going to pass her. When I say she was behind, I mean like pre k level. I met with the teacher and she refused to hold her back. Her father and I ended up meeting with the principle and basically told her if my dd didnt get held back I was going to the school board. Well we are 5 years later and my dd is now getting A's and B's. I feel if I had let her go on to 2nd grade, she wouldnt be doing as well as she is. She just wasnt ready. I have seen kids that got promoted and should have been held back and they are a disruption, my opinion is what is being taught to them isnt clicking and they are bored and discouraged.

JCGoneLoony

Answer by JCGoneLoony at 8:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i hate it kids should be learning on thier level and if they dont understand something in the 3rd grade how do you think they are going to do when the 4th grade comes around...
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I don't agree with the "No Child Left Behind". I think overall it hinders the majority kids who are up to speed with the material when the teacher has to take extra time to repeat the material for one ir two students. And then the majority of them get bored since they already know the material. If a couple of them are having trouble keeping up, then the school should have s set time for tutoring with them or something else. There's nothing wrong with having a child repeat a grade. In several cases, it helped the child more in future grades. They understood the basic information better and were more emotionaly ready for the rest of the grades.
    Gummie_Bear

Answer by Gummie_Bear at 3:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• As a teacher...no. We should not teach to the test b/c some students are not good test takers. I think teaching on each child's level is the right thing to do.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• it pretty much fines the school if a child does not pass, so they bend the curve so they all passI held back my daughter they were livid, I had school work that showed she could not do the work in 2nd grade and if she cant do 2nd how is she gonna do 3rd?
    whitedove34

Answer by whitedove34 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Mine sure got left behind
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010