“Can we really cure ourselves of disease by the power of thought alone?

Faith healers and alternative therapists are convinced that we can, but what does science say? Contrary to public perception, orthodox medical opinion is remarkably confident about the healing powers of the mind… ”

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:12 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i saw a thing that was about a kitten that had been hit by a car and they had a radio station test the theory of the power of positive thoughts and to say the least the kitten survived... so maybe.
    his_squishy

Answer by his_squishy at 3:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think a good attitude and positive thoughts certainly help. It's probably a chemical thing. It takes actual work to stay positive sometimes and to laugh even though you feel like crying (<-- wow, I sound like a beautiful song now). I think a lot of things play into it - I wouldn't want to say with the power of only my thoughts, I can cure my breast cancer (I don't have breast cancer) but I think being as positive as a person can helps.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes I want to be more positive!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No.. only by faith and the spoken word.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:24 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Staying positive while dealing with a disease does truely help. A lot of sickness is in the mind. There have been studies done (asprin for example) where there where two groups. Both thought they were getting the same thing, when in fact one was just givin sugar tables. Well with "hopeful" thoughts and the belief the medicine would make them better, a lot of people that were given the sugar tables were "cured" from their "headaches".

I'm not saying staying happy will cure you of your cancer tomorrow, but I do believe staying positive will help to a speedy recover.

"laughter is the best medicine"
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Positive thinking is a good thing. It got me through 2 deliveries. But when it comes to potentially deadly illnesses, or just a simple infection....God gave us science - he granted people knowledge to help us become well again. Yes, it's true, some people do not recover, but would they have recovered through positive thinking, or is it just 'their time?' I had a friend who had a brain tumor - under the best care - and the most positive person I've ever known - she didn't make it. With that being said, if we don't use the gifts that God has given us - the knowledge that there are doctors that can help us - is that just thumbing our noses at the Lord? I don't think I am willing to do that - when my child is screaming in pain and I know there is something that can help them - positive thoughts aren't going to cure strep throat or an ear infection fast enough for me.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 7:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes. I think all humans possess the power to heal, but because we have been conditioned to think we couldn't possibly do something so amazing, some feel the need to attribute it to miracles from god.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Some perhaps, but certainly not all. I do feel that this generation is full of people that are all too eager to pop a pill thinking it will cure whatever ailment they have when all that is needed is a change in diet/exercise/sleep habits/ or a basic lifestyle change that would benefit them.  Understanding a condition also enables us to overcome it because it changes how we view the condition itself.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Who knows? Good question, though! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2010