Why do you think that George Bush didnt help the people of New Orleans faster?

It took a week

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:14 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You would do better to ask why both Mississippi and Alabama (not to mention FL) were all prepared and had supplies and personnel on hand. The answer to that is because when Bush declared an emergency 48 hours before Katrina hit, their governors cut loose the NG so they could be staged and ready.

Gov. Blanco of LA refused to do so and stated that they could handle things themselves. Later she claimed she didn't understand the law and procedure. Mayor Nagin didn't do any better by not issuing the evac orders until the 28th. Fema failed because it allowed Blanco's mistakes on procedure (not listing individual parishes) to stand, etc.
    Bush didn't create Katrina, and he didn't cause the mistakes that others made. He very graciously accepted the blame ~ but I'd have rather heard him call Blanco and Nagin the idiots they were. I live in a hurricane zone, and I know the plan for the entire state. Nagin hadn't read the plan cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:32 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Oh, puleeze! Because there wasn't any money or prestige in it for him or his many money-buddies!
    lakotakat

Answer by lakotakat at 3:32 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• LOL Lakot! Farm lady that was a very interesting read. Do you raise goats?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:35 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• cont. ~ for his own city. Blanco didn't know the protocols and regulations she was supposed to. Katrina hit Mississipi far harder than NOLA, but they were far better prepared and took the proactive steps that were necessary. If either a governor or a mayor need the president to come hold their hands because they can't/won't do their job they shouldn't be in office. The levees were another issue.

And, if people sit around in their living rooms watching a cat 5 aimed right at them and decide they'd rather sit in a sports dome with a single can of diet coke than to get the bleep outta dodge and spend some of their money for a hotel room somewhere safe, or just sit in their homes and after the storm sit on their roof looking miserable ... well, maybe next time they'll do better. Many of those at the dome DROVE there. Almost none took the 3 days of supplies they were advised to. cont.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:38 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Cause he hates black people.... why else? Oh wait my WHITE stepfather was stuck on the roof for 3 days in New Orleans East! Oh and My WHITE sister was stuck in the 9th ward for two weeks! Oh and then my WHITE sister lived in a FEMA trailer with no ac. So I guess bush hates WHITES too.

President Bush signed a $10.5 billion relief package within four days of the hurricane.
    Within 1–2 days of the hurricane, The State of Louisiana National Guard troops arrived with relief packages, and participated in security and rescue operations.

We lost a lot in that storm its been 5 years and we still have two vacant properties. We went 3 WEEKS without hearing from my family! Its over, we are thankful that we only lost two houses and not two family members.

The higher ups of FEMA are just as much to blame as anyone.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:41 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Oh boy Farmlady. I was told that they did not have a way to get out of town. Also when they tried to walk out of town some people in another town shot at them and eventually killed one guy when they tried to walk over some bridge to safety.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Maybe he hates poor people?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• @ 35yoamom ~ nope. No goats. I did teach survival preparedness and home prepping for several years. I also followed the mess in NOLA quite closely. The area I live in got wiped by Hugo ~ because of the same lack of preparation from SC that NOLA showed. SC learned and is STILL rearranging and upgrading roads and evac plans. NOLA is sitting around with it's fingers in it's ears singing lalalalala to this day.

You go right ahead and blame Bush all you like. He did his job. The idiot dems in LA didn't, and I hope that the loss of life haunts the ones who didn't till the day they die, even if I doubt they have enough of a conscience to care.

I don't have any sympathy for those who CAN, but won't see to their own safety, and I would spit in Nagin's face for leaving those in the hospitals and the handicapped like fish in a barrel to face that storm while he hauled his own worthless butt out.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i really wish we had an answer.. i don't thiink anyone can answer though.. they knew it wasn't impossible that the levy would breake.. call it a gamble? perhaps
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• They tried to walk out AFTER the storm ~ once the looting had begun. The rescue people I know were having weapons mailed to them 5 weeks after Katrina because outside of the city people were still looting and shooting at people.

That doesn't change the fact that every single person who can, SHOULD make preparations for emergencies that are normal in their area. Not one of the able bodied in that dome had to be as miserable as they were. They should have taken blankets, water, food, meds, etc. in with them ~ and the same goes for any shelter you evac to.

The able bodied should also look for neighbors who either need assistance or a ride. The one kid smart enough to load up a bus and head out got arrested for his efforts, but he did the right thing/the smart thing.

There was enough time, but LA officials did not act until it was too late. Bush had NO authority to fix that and he declared a SOE 2 days before Katrina hit
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010