Does God belong in public schools

Under the First Amendment, the government can neither establish religion nor prohibit the free exercise of religion.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Why not? Thus far, I have raised my son (who attended over 3 years of Catholic education, 4th-7th grades only) and observed
    my cousins and sisters kids grow up totally within the public educational system. When it comes to morals, my son is way
    ahead of them all, and more congniscent of other persons and their feelings, as wll as the environment, etc..
    lakotakat

Answer by lakotakat at 3:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The Pledge of Allegiance was written around the same time as the Constitution and it didn't even occur to them that adding "under God" wasn't being church and state being separate.

I have no opinion - although I will say that saying the Pledge of Allegiance every day wasn't scarring to me and if a kid sits out, it wasn't considered 'weird' or 'strange'.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My thoughts are, God belongs within people.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I dont think so. I think in a way the bible teaches hate.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 3:55 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• In my opinion, only if it's in a study of mythology, like the Greeks, Romans, Norse, etc. There's no more proof that the Christian god exists than the gods that I believe in, and since they're taught (or at least were when I was in school not too long ago) in school, why not include Christian mythology?

Kids at my schools were usually given detention or something for at least a week if we didn't stand up, cross our heart, and practically shout every word. It was like that at every one of the 9 or 10 schools I attended growing up.

For a time in middle school and early high school (while I was still a Christian, too) I would every once in a while say "One nation, under the Goddess..." and get all kinds of weird looks from people. The "under god" thing never really bothered me, I just didn't like the way it seemed discriminatory towards other religions, besides Christianity.(Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm sleep deprived)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No because home is where god she be taught.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

in response to the above... Not my bible.. it teaches love.
    As for God in the church .... He is there just not everyone acknowledges it. :-) You cannot keep God from being there... He already is and will stay too. You can never get rid of God no matter how hard you try! He hears the prayers of the saints of his children, the sheep, the lambs ! He hears them all .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Nope
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:45 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes i think he should be.It's one way for the children that have parents that don't believe in him him to learn that he truely exsists. And i have read the entire bible and i don't see how God says hate.
    Poohy1975

Answer by Poohy1975 at 4:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I really don't know....I don't have a problem with God being discussed or whatever, but I want to be the one to teach my child about God. I want to ensure that he's being taught the right
    Things and in the right way.

As for the pledge of allegiance, once I hit 5th or 6th grade, I stopped saying it..not b/c of the under God part, it just didn't feel right. There's something about
    It that I really didn't and still don't like but I never knew what it was exactly. I would still stand up(out of respect) when the rest of the class was saying it,
    But I wouldn't put my hand on my heart or say it, I'd always get funny looks for it. :D
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 4:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2010