Is there really a discernable difference between the education provided by public and private schools?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In most cases, I would say YES!

My son was attending a horrible "inner-city" public school that was fairly funded, but the teachers were abysmal! I finally scrapped up enough money to send him to a smaller Catholic school with much less funding, and his education was dramatically improved!

lakotakat

Answer by lakotakat at 3:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The less funded school was better? Really?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I have no data to back it up but I'd say yes.

I'd imagine a privately funded school would have to do fairly well to stay in business. A public school will pretty much stay in business - even if they are underfunded and understaffed with too many kids.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Sometimes the less funded schools do better because they have DIFFERENT priorities and thus spend the money different! If the majority of the dollars go to the student you are going to see better results with LESS money. This is because in the end more money is being directly applied to the student and not the UNIONS pockets!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I believe that private schools can be better. My son had a terrible teacher in 2nd grade. I actually should have home school him.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 8:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• um... like in everything else it depends on the school and the teachers. I know some great private schools and some horrible ones. Same for public schools... you gotta treat each one indiv.
    The one biggest diff. is that a private school can CHOOSE their students and that parents at a private school tend to be a bit more involved b/c they pay for it... but the same can be true for a public school... the ones where parents tend to be more involved are usually better...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes. In my experience having attended both, the private school offered smaller classes and therefore more time for individual attention. I was told by a public school teacher she could not help me because I didn't know the basics of the skill she was teaching. (that's why I went for extra help)
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Answer is : It depends. It depends on the quality of the public school and the quality of the private school. There are some excellent public schools and there are some poor private schools.  In order to keep their costs down some private schools hire teachers who are not certified or who are inexperienced . Compare class size, teacher qualification, school philosophy, test results. Are individual differences respected? Do teachers teach to the whole class or is there group instruction according to need? What extra-curricula activities are offered? Is there a computer lab? Is there a music and art program?   Check out the library, gym and outdoor space.  Parents need to do their homework.    www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2010