Should Obama give more money to inner city schools?

Despite the promise of Brown v. Board of Education, many schools serving black and Hispanic children are spiraling backward to the pre-Brown era. These schools lack the basics: clean classrooms, hallways and restrooms; up-to-date books in good condition; and appropriate laboratory supplies.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes money should always be given to schools particularly in lower class neighborhoods and places where it is known to have overcrowdedness, poor students..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• And just where is he going to get this money? The federal government is so deeply in debt that our grandchildren won't be able to pay it off in their lifetimes.

No, the answer isn't more money. Part of the answer is in making better use of the money already available. Vouchers to allow inner city parents the option to send their children to better schools. Firing redundant adminstration and using their salaries to hire more and better teachers. Better retention programs to keep experienced teachers in the schools. Another part of the answer is in making schools that meet the needs of the children that attend those schools. And that doesn't require money, but is does require dedication and serious thinking outside the box.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The government can't afford to give money to ANY schools these days. In my state they estimate 17,000 teachers have been LAID OFF thanks to budget cuts.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• What can be done for these kids?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I told you. Redistribute the money they already have. Allow the parents of these children to have vouchers to send their children to better schools. Fire the redundant adminstrators and use their salaries to hire more and/or better teachers, to buy the current books and better supplies.

The parents also need to learn to stand up and be stronger parents. I know that many of them are doing the best they can in very trying circumstances. But the schools cannot and should not be fully responsible for the education of children. The reason the best schools are the best schools is not money; it is parental involvement. The parents who expect their children to go to school and learn are the parents who are involved in the running of the school. I've taught in poor schools and rich schools; good schools have good parents standing behind their kids.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• i think that poor people also want their kids to attend good schools. But many have to work. So one cant be as involved as other parents. I am a SAHM so I can volunteer at my daughter's school. But when I go back to work, it is VERY HARD to take off for any second of the day unless I take off for a vacation day. Which is why I am looking and praying for a telecommute job with the federal govt.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• An involved parent who works outside the home doesn't have to take a vacation day to be involved. He or she is active in the child's education -- checking homework and reviewing tests and lessons, communicating with the teacher(s) through notes or e-mail or phone calls, expecting the child to bring home the memos from school so that he or she can read them and be aware of what is happening, attending the parent/teacher conferences in the evenings or when the work schedule permits.

Good luck with your job search.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2010