Girls are growing more violent and what can be done about it?

The rise in girls' violence is the product of many interrelated cultural developments, several of which are largely positive. In a number of ways… the cultural foot binding that has kept girls from embracing their own physical power has been removed, which is largely to be celebrated. But nothing happens in isolation, and there's rarely such a momentous societal shift with absolutely no downside. One problem is that girls aren't being trained to handle their own physical aggression the way boys are: our methods of child-rearing culture include all sorts of mechanisms for socializing boys to express their violence in socially acceptable ways, but with girls we lag very far behind

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like this
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 3:35 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I wonder what can be done about it? My daughter is not mean.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Well, if I tried everything and I see that my daughter doesn't change I will put her in boot camp there they can help her control her anger and they will teach her how to control herself and also to respect people and have respect of herself
    Milindus

Answer by Milindus at 3:44 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I was taught like a boy its all in the way you are taught I have two boys if I have a daughter for my third child is a girl I will teach her as well and I will teach her to do sports and also she will learn several forms of martial arts. I belive this helped me have self discipline. Does it and will it work for other girls maybe not but this is my plan.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• very little outlets.. and trying to keep up with the boys
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:20 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• i think more parenting.. less yelling hitting when small .. better home environments both parents in the home.. creating opportunities for healthy activities
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:22 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Are you retarded? "give her a vibrator" nice, real nice. That makes me sick.

anyways, maybe put them in sports and try to teach girls as well as boys healthy outlets for their aggression.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• all five of my angels are taught not to fit . we walk away from a fight if we can . they have been taught that voilents is not a wa y of life
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 6:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I also think that girls are acting out more violently in response to the violence that's being done to them. Many women sit in jail because they fought back against their abuser. As violence towards women continues & becomes more ugly & nasty-from insults to hits, even burnings & scarings, not to mention rapes we will see women in turn react more violently.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010