Was Columbine preventable?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:45 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably, yes. But whose to say? I remember when it happened but I was a teenager so many of the details, I don't know.
    I'd hate to talk ill of anyones parents but maybe their parents should have seen something. Or if they had siblings. I don't know though.

However, when someone is so full of hate that they want to mindlessly and aimlessly kill people, they will find a way to do it.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• nope... i dont think so ... it was very sad but i dont think that anyone could have stopped it :(
    his_squishy

Answer by his_squishy at 3:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• NO. i believe in decree. and that nothing is done unless it is written..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• All violence is preventable to a degree but no one wants to go back and say yes or no to this we can go back through history we could say this about almost everything.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes I believe it was preventable but sadly it happened.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Unless someone new something and did not tell. No I do not think so. Execpt for the boys who did it. Know one new it was going to happen, I think.

Answer by louise2 at 7:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think so, but as with most tragedies, hindsight is 20/20
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, it was preventable. Klebold and Harris' parents were not as involved in their kids' lives as they should have been. Seriously, the parents had "no clue" the kids were stockpiling weapons and building bombs in the garage?! C'mon!! Why didn't these kids belong to organized groups, sports teams, have jobs, etc. They were ALLOWED to be loners, their issues/feelings of insecurity were ALLOWED to fester to the point of them snapping.

Everyone has insecurities and breaking points, but the majority of us learn to address them or seek help to address them. We don't go terrorizing people because we feel "sad" or are "frustrated."

I was picked on mercilessly in grade school. I got into sports, found my niche in swimming, and eventually became highly ranked, I built upon my strengths (without the support of family), and became my own success story. I didn't let the bullies keep me down...I showed them who was in control!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, if their parents were more involved and if the school was more aware..

If they were really "outcast" and bullied so bad I am sure some teachers SAW this ...something should have been done

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Yes, but a lot of parents these days don't pay any attention to what their kids are doing, and don't care. They throw meds at the "problem" and go about their lives as though they never had kids in the first place. The sad thing is that I live in Colorado, 30 minutes from Littleton. I see parents in my neighborhood, and in the doctor's office where I work who treat their kids like objects and not like people. They are little inconveniences that they will be happy to pawn off on someone else at any time. You'd think parents here would have had a wake up call when Columbine happened, but I guess not.

My dd was bullied in 8th grade. I took care of the problem. The teachers and even the principal were trying to sweep it under the rug and ignore it, but I refused to let them. My dd knew she had me to talk to and to help her through it...sadly a lot of kids don't have that and this is how things like Columbine happen.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010