How did you know your spouse was the one for you?

Also, how do you make things work from day to day?

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Relationships

• i have no clue..and still dont.. ive been with mine for 4 years and i still wonder.. butim happy now and thats what counts..i dont thibk i would regret being with him if we did call it off because it was a happy time and i would just have to move on. everyone has arguments or issuses everyday but you put effort into it you cant expect a relationship to work just by sitting there
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 9:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• We met in the "smart kids" groups in high school and we were together for hours, day in and day out. It was nice to be around someone I could have a conversation with, that was ambitious, that had character...we saw each other a little back then, but we really didn't get back together until after college and after my daughter was born. His ambition is what really attracted me back to him. Even though I'm eccentric and he is "boring", we even each other out and we are both ambitious. With two educated and ambitious people in the house, it gives me the security that we are going to have a good life together. The day-to-day is easy for us because it really feels like the two of us are working together toward the same goals in life, finances, parenting...everything.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I didn't. We seemed to be compatible and have a lot in common but that was just a start and not a guarantee that we'd live happily ever after. We dated for three years, fell in love during that time and took a chance on marriage. But we both went in with our eyes open and realized that we would have to continue to nurture our relationship and work very hard at it. It's 20+ years later and we're still together. There have been plenty of ups and downs but the one constant is that we work through it together.

It gets a little easier as time goes on but you have to be careful to not take eachother for granted. Oh yeah, having separate closets and bathrooms helps too!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My mom always told me that dating is what you do to find your husband. So needless to say I didnt do a whole lot of 'serious' dating. When I started dating my hubby. He told me that you should only date if you feel she could be "the one" I knew right then he was someone special. =) and then after two years... the fact that he could still give me butterflies &hearts. We have been together for over 5 years now! and i love him more and more everyday.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I met my husband before I divorced my first. Our timing was awful, always. He was just a friend - but when I was around him... I felt like a flower that hadn't been watered for years and he was water. We had such an amazing connection, we could talk for hours and not be tired of each other. I felt like I had known him for years. Over the next 5+ years we missed our chances several times. He would come to visit, we would both feel that strong connection buy we just couldn't get the timing right. He was finishing college and couldn't move. (He lived in Ohio, me Texas) I was single, he wasn't. He was single, I wasn't... after I had my son - and things were over with the bio dad - he made up his mind. He stopped his Master's degree and came down here. 3 months later we were engaged. Married in March, and he adopted Gabe. It's been perfect.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I don't really think anyone knows, I think u follow your heart, everyone takes a chance when it comes to love, with us we met at a gas station in 2002 and I had no interest at all we lost touch till about 2005 when I told him I was pregnant and then we didn't talk again until my mother called everyone on my cell to tell them I had the baby but Iby then I had split with my current child's father we saw each other in 2006 and for the first time and man was he sexy lol and then we just hung out at my place and just moved really slow just until that one day when I knew I had feelings wouldn't tell him and he said I'm having some strong feelings for you and I want to pursue this but slow because if this doesn't work out I want us to be friends how do u feel about that and I agreed and then next thing I know I get a message saying I love u and I said it back and make a long story short we are married
    jarai6868

Answer by jarai6868 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Ive known my husband for 21 years! I had a crush him in 8th grade we dated on and off through highschool and college we now have been together for 10 years straight just the two of us. We have been married for 3 and a half years 4 in feb. I knew he was the one long before he knew I was the one I waited patiently wink wink. Our marriage is far from perfect but we botth try hard to work on it to make us and our dear son happy!!! Finances are tough right now with the economy but what you gonna do?
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• How we make things work.... we're very non-traditional. We still love our time together and sit around talking most evenings before bed. I am a stay at home mom - I handle all financial aspects of our marriage, I manage the money, we both have "fun" money accounts (adult allowances), I handle most things that come up because I am the more assertive of the two of us, he works and has a degree in computer science and is enrolled for his Masters, we split the housework 50/50 -- I do the laundry and he puts it away, I cook dinner he cleans up and does the dishes... We have a great balance of dishing out responsibility based on our strengths. It works for us, like I said... its not at all traditional.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I will never forget the first day we meet. I wanted McDonalds so i was gonna have his friend drive me. Well As were walkin out he asked me if i wanted to ride in the trunk with him lol. He was drunk but it was so funny..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Married for almost 36 years now and we are still in love.  We were 18 and full of hope and dreams.  He made me feel like there wasn't another girl in the world.  I was the middle of 5 kids and he the middle of 11.  We each needed to be made the center of attention.  To be really seen and heard and with each other we were.  I love to listen to him for hours (most days).  He loves for me to touch him continuously ( meets my needs as well, I'm touchy feely).  Quite literally, he made me feel completely loved, needed and desired. (still does)  There have been bad times but we have always loved each other.  Remember....love is an action verb.

moorebr5

Answer by moorebr5 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008