Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Does everyone know how dangerous yarn is?

3days ago i left my house for a doctors appt.I put my Yorki and Scottish Fold (kitty) in my room. When i got home i went to crochet and realized Ashley (my kitty) had ate thru the yarn.I really thought nothing of it cause i figured she just chewed thru it and that was it.the next day she seemed fine.Then around noon she threw up about a foot of yarn. From that moment on things just got worse.She wasn't eating or drinking and was contstanly puking. Sometimes it had yarn in it but most the time it was just red fluid. (the yarn was red) By that evening she couldn't even jump on the bed. So i called a vet in the economy (we're in S.Korea) It took me 2 hours to finally get her there and seen.At 3 am they said there was still some in her stomach but to try to avoid a dangerous surgery they wanted to give her 12 more hrs to throw it up.She ended up having to have suregery.Next 48-72 hrs r touch and go.PLZ don't leave yarn down.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Pets

Answers (8)
  • OMG! I am so sorry! I hope your kitty recovers soon!
    MommyH2

    Answer by MommyH2 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I hope everything turns out ok.
    lmt_mom2010

    Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I hope it all turns out ok for your kitty!

    Besides yarn, also curling ribbon and anything else that has strings hanging from it is a danger too. My kids bring home balloons and we have to keep the strings away from the cat because he will eat it (and he's 14, still hasn't learned). If the string passes through the stomach then it can perforate kitty's intestines.
    slw123

    Answer by slw123 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • I had a kitten a long time ago that ate a string. Luckily it went through but had to be pulled out the other end by the vet-the end of it was out but he kept squatting but could not pass the whole thing. Poor baby. Since then I have been VERY careful about anything that is string like around cats-they just love to play with stringy things. And small things as well-you really have to cat and kitten proof the house-just like when you have a baby around. I hope your kitty is going to recover and be well.
    confused969

    Answer by confused969 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • That goes for any string. Shoe strings included. I pulled 6 inches of a shoe string out of one of my cats once as she was chewing and swallowing it. Thread is another bad one because it's so easy to swallow and even easier to get tangled around intestines.
    I hope your kitty is ok.
    itsmesteph11

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • WOW, so sorry. I hope the cat's ok. Would never had thought of that either, so you just never know.
    MyAngel003

    Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • ((HUGS))- I'm so sorry that your cat is so sick! I hope she comes through okay! One of my friends' hamsters stranged in yarn that had been put in the cage as a plaything, so it's not a good idea for smaller pets either. Thanks for bringing it up, it may help other pets not to have to go through this!
    Freela

    Answer by Freela at 4:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

  • Just to let everyone know Ashley (my kitty that swallowed the yarn) is home and alive,YIIPPIIEE. SO HAPPY. I know finacially it's going to be hard for awhile but it could've been so much worse.I don't know what i would have done if i lost her.TY for all your thoughts and prayers.
    Poohy1975

    Answer by Poohy1975 at 5:24 AM on Aug. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pets
Cats and babies?

Next question overall (Religion & Beliefs)
Can Pentecosts....

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN