Relief for VERY sore and hard breasts?

My son is just over 2 weeks old and we have not been able to get him to latch on so I've been pumping exclusively to get him his daily quota. One breast hurts horribly. I think it may be engorged. Are there any tricks that anyone knows of besides the icepack and massage? I'm trying to relieve the pain in these ways only with little to no relief. I nearly constantly feel painful tugging from the built up milk. I don't want to quit giving him my milk so that is an ABSOLUTE last resort. Could the type of pump have something to do with my problems? As of right now I do not have anything but a hand pump that I use every 2-4 hours unless my son has other ideas. I think that could also be a contributing factor. Most times lately my son will wake up right as I'm ready to start pumping so then it ends up being nearly 5 or more hours between pumpings. Would an electric be better and less painfull to use? Please help!!

Jennifer7930

Asked by Jennifer7930 at 7:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Health

• let your DH massage em. Ok maybe not, but he won't mind ;) lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I use to put a damp towel in the microwave - make it warm enough to give relief, but not burn. Lay that over your breast and it really helps. I would keep a tee shirt on just to protect your skin. I remember your frustration. With my first born, I was in your spot, wanted to quit, but didn't. It got easier with time and then it truly is a wonderful experience. The warmth of the towel should make you milk flow too. Don't be surprised to experience a fountain. Best wishes.
    chrish347

Answer by chrish347 at 7:30 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• take cabbage leaves then but them in the freezer. You can put them in your bra and it will help greatly.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:05 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Frozen cabbage leaves they was my best friends after I had my kids.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2010