I am a 30-something year old mom and getting my RN. I want to cut the chords with this spoiled-only-child-I-have-everthing-20yearold who brags about how wonderful her grades are, constantly. There are several of us who are moms and we are giving our ALL to eek out with a B average. How can there be a way to communicate to this 20 year old without being mean, to inform her that bragging abut her grades is annoying?

bzmomrn2b

Asked by bzmomrn2b at 9:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• I am in nursing school also. I am 37yrs old. We have plenty of "braggers" but you know what? We don't pay attention to it. If they are talking about how "great" they did and didn't even study, we totally ignore them, or start a conversation with someone else in front of them. Or we just walk away. Eventually, the one or two that loved to brag, no longer does it as often. :O)

You know what....."C" or "B" = RN, it doesn't matter what you make. Everyone in the end gets the SAME diploma. Don't worry over it and dont' give this person a chance to stand around you and brag. Walk off, start talking to someone else.....ignore it. :O)

Hang in there!! Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• look at her and say horay for you you are tons smarter than me. that should shut her up.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Just tell her you are glad she has nothng else going on in life so that she can study so much. And then walk off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Getting an "A" is easy if you have no job or responsibilities. I went back to school when I was older, worked 20-30 hours a week and has two kids under 3. My grades weren't all "A"s but I still made at least one of the honor rolls. I took pride in the fact that I was doing so well while doing all I was doing and still had good grades, it was a personal satisfaction. Take pride in what you are accomplishing. A 20 year-old might get good grades but that doesn't mean she will be a top notch nurse. Patients need a balance of caring, compassion and intelligence in a nurse and some of those can not be taught in a classroom.

Cbous

Answer by Cbous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I wouldn't say anything to her! Plain and simple! I'm saying that I wouldn't communicate w/ her at all! When and IF she gets the *hint* then I would tell her. She's 20yrs old, nobody's never told her how to act or treat others. So, its time for a dose of gown-up medicine. Good luck to you!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Well of course it's easy for her to get good grades, she was just in high school a short time ago....and like anonymous stated, she obviously has nothing else going on in her life which allows her to study all the time.

She's in for a rude awakening if she ever has kids and then has to take on other responsibilities. Then maybe she'll look back and realize how hard you working/going to school/moms had it and why it was such an accomplishment to graduate with the good grades you're getting.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 10:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• It sounds like it's her only means of validation. I wouldn't take that away from her. You have confidence in yourself. Concentrate on that. Don't take away the only thing positive she might have in her life. Personally I'd feel sorry for her but just smile and know you have more in your life to bring you fulfillment than just a grade on a piece of paper. She might not have what you have.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Say "Good for you! Not everyone can be brilliant." Then change the subject immediately, or walk off. Ignoring is good, too!

Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I would brag about the adventures of being a mom in school. After regailing her with the tale of last nights dinner madness and holding down the fort stop abruptly and ask her "So, what did you do last night?"

Or try something like "I might not get A's but I can MAKE people!" LOL
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• lol I hate people like that. I usually just look at them and say "....that's cool....." and change the subject. Or I ignore it completely. Hopefully she's not too hard-headed to get the message once people stop paying attention to her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Oct. 8, 2008