We are all born Atheist and have to be 'TAUGHT' about God

Right?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree, up to a point. My child has never been exposed to a particular religion... so, no, he does not know what a deity is.
    My niece has, my grandparents go to church, so does a few of my relatives that she is around... (she is 6) and she asked why they go to a building for a fake ghost...she hsa been exposed and told and still does not believe.
    But, some, I think, have that sense with them.. I may be wrong.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Well, you can look at it like that but it's like saying we are all born STUPID and have to be taught to be smart. While that is true in the sense we do come into this world knowing nothing we don't really think of it as being born stupid do we? The point that we are born not knowing god doesn't mean we are atheist. In fact I think in order for you to be an atheist you have to know you don't believe in god or religion. So , I think your estimation is wrong.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I believe if that were true the idea of God is something that would have never come about. If God is something one must be taught about, instead of something one is born with the ability to know, how does that explain the way that the mankind in general has always felt there is something more, has always seemed to be spiritual? The concept of Atheism, as we know it today, is something that has only come about in the last few hundred years. Before then anyone who rejected someone else's concept of God, even in favor of their own, was labeled an Atheist by those who's concept was being rejected.

And the pull towards God isn't something that reflects immaturity or ignorance, as there are plenty of scientists, now and throughout history, who have found their beliefs in God strengthened by science, rather than refuted by it....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• No.. To believe in God (whatever god/goddess.. not just christian is what im refering to) is actually said to be a part of the human brain. Most believe in SOMETHING .. a higher being of some kind..
    That is why in every single part of the world. no matter how remote they may be they worship something greater & bigger than themself..
    Looking up to the heavens for "more" has always been...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I believe that God has given us all a conscience and a knowledge of His existence...
    I did not grow up in a house that spoke anything of God...but I KNEW He was there

FAITH comes by hearing through the words of God
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Wrong. I was raised an athiest and always knew there was a God. I am a Christian now. I remember as a child, looing up to the sky and just KNOWING there was a creator/God/something. I knew my mom was wrong, I just didn't know I could know God and be saved until someone told me. I'm memorizing a Psalm right now that says "The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heart. Their voice goes out into all the earth. Their words to the end of the world." My punctuationis probably all messed up in that. Anyway, the point is, even if we have nobody to tell us about God, or that there is a God, the sky itself will tell us there is a creator, this didn't happen all on its own.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Wrong! I was taught about God, but I was NEVER taught about My Gods or My Beliefs... They were just a part of who I was, a part of who I am. These are far from what I was taught, yet they are beliefs and knowledge I had even as a small child... Some of us are born with the knowledge - others have to find it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Wrong. You may have been born an atheist, but some of us have been able to feel God our entire lives, without being taught. When I was older, I was taught about religion, but there is a big difference between "God" and "religion".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My belief is that we all know about God but suppress the truth until God opens our eyes to Him.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 8:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• mybella81... let me ask you something, during your childhood, did you ever hear mention of something called a God? How about in school? By your little friends? Your parents? On TV or even on the street or in books? I could understand if you were raised on a deserted Island by Atheists and never came in contact with the idea of god...

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010