How do I teach my 3 1/2 year old to read?

I have no clue where to even start to teach her to read. Do I start with letter sounds first to teach her to sound things out? I'm clueless help!

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 8:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She needs to learn the phonics of each letter first, then putting a few letters together to make small words, then you string 3-4 small words together to make a short sentence. REPETITION is key, and much of reading is based on memorization and sight word recognition. Just think when you are trying to pronounce a word you have never seen before or recognize, what do you do? You start by breaking down the part of the word you do recognize, then work the phonics of the other letters around it. Learning to read is much the same process...but you still need the basic phonics part first.

READ to your child daily. Pick books that she would be interested in to help keep her focus and encourage her to read. As you read move your finger along each word, so that your child learns to both hear the word AND sight recognize them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• http://www.starfall.com/

My daughter knew her letters, letter sounds and could read some words in a couple of weeks of using Starfall.

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:48 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The book "how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" is awesome. It's not thorough and I think doesn't teach them to sound a lot of things out right, but it's a great place to begin and gets them sounding things out right away. Another, similar, approach is to teach all the short vowel sounds, then teach consonant sounds, after you have a few consonant sounds down start blending them with the vowels. Like "ba, be, bi, bo, bu, etc." after you have done that for a while start adding an ending consonant. They also need to learn sight words that they can't sound out, like "the, a, to, do, etc" Once they have all that teach long vowel sounds and the "two vowel rule" (that if there are two vowels the first says it's name) That's as far as I've gotten.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Flashcards with pictures =)

For example have a picture of a cat with the word cat under it and show her, and say cat. then later on when she can idenitify the picture, when she starts that seperate the words from the pictures show her the word cat, say it, and then show her a picture. then later on show her the word cat and have her pick the picture from a couple of different ones. IN between all of this teach her the ABC song =)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Start by reading to her daily
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had my daughter say and spell each word, it helped her alot.
    BrandiGunter

Answer by BrandiGunter at 9:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• First, you need to work on letter identification and sounds. Do a lot of phonemic awareness activities and model the concepts of print for her. Most importantly, read with her every day!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I just started sight word cards with my son.
    I didnt/don't know where to start either.
    I read to him when he let's me, but its definatly not daily. He is always on the go!

He seems to be interested in the sight words. He thinks its a game to repeat the words after mommy.
    Once I feel he has these down, then I will move onto more difficult tasks.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• 1. read daily. pick out words. repeat books alot so she get to know every time you read the book, its the same words.. kwim?
    2. Memorizing flashcards is not reading! there are "sight words" we are taught but besides these words, reading should be taught through phonics.
    3. If a child is not interested at reading at this age, dont worry about it! 3 year old have NO need to read! :)
    4. First she needs to learn each letter has a uppercase/lower case.. She has to learn phonics for each letter... and the hardest part is learning that these letters smooshed together make words... Until a kids brain comprehends this, they cannot read.. They also have to learn the space between 2 words seperate words and thats how we know beginning & end of 1 word.

Learning to read can be really complex!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2010