Perhaps the people in NY are ready to move on from 9/11.

But what happened didn't just happen to New York. It happened to America. The terror might be over for now right there, but a lot of other places around the US are still worried about "what if this happens again, only here". What if the people as a whole in the USA isn't ready to "move on" and build a mosque so close to ground zero?

Also if we did end up building a mosque next to ground zero how would we feel if an extremist blew up something else in our country with a lot of people still in a fragile state of mind from 9/11?

And worse, what if the extremist that decided to blow something else up here was recruited from the proposed mosque?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry Scuba, I usually agree with you on most topics...but I just can't forgive and forget that easily.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Whether or not terrorists strike again has nothing to do with the Muslims who live here. There is a huge difference between mainstream Islam and the militant jihadists responsible for the attacks, and its not helping anyone to punish our own citizens for something they're not responsible for. We cannot become insensitive or intolerant and justify it by the attacks committed by those unaffiliated with those we're being prejudiced against. Its just like how during WWII we locked up so many Japanese Americans.... How many times are we going to make the mistake of punishing our own people out of fear and ignorance?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Everyone recovers from tragedy at their own pace. I've moved on from it and it's just made me to be more aware of my surroundings when I leave my home. More cautious of how this world really is.

All we can do is hope and pray that nothing like that ever happens again. We can only stop what we know and with what we don't know we'll just have to hope for the least tragedy or no tragedy at all will happen from it. Hopefully it'll be prevented from happening in the first place.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:10 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• The people of NY are for the most part against this. Many many people lost family and friends on 9-11 and they won't just get over it. Maybe never. A small obviously liberal committee was the ones who decided this was ok.
    As for the 1st poster, no mosques represent terror, it's what the people who happen to be terrorists do inside the mosque that worries people. There are oodles of mosques in NY and you didn't hear an uproar every time one of them was built. It's wel known that there have been groups of people who use mosques as a front for terror planning and that is one of the major reasons they don't want it there. It's too close to what happened. The Imam who want to build it has a sckechy past, has made remarks about supporting Shirian law and about 9-11 being our fault.
    I just wonder what will happen when it is built? Terrorism? Violence from those who don't want it there? Guess we will have to wait and see.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I figured as much Lori. There was a post on here yesterday with New Yorkers that said most of them were for it. This question obviously needed more research.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Wow we have to become proactive and what if is not doing this. Not all mosques represent terrorism.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• You can not group every one in a religion together. Some are crazy religious and some are just normal religious.

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Fear does strange things to people. We hear about what goes on in other country but when it happens here different story completely.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Wait, I got voted down for posting the results of an NBC Quinnipiac poll?!? LMAO!!! I guess the voting buttons in this sections are to be used solely for "punishing" the posters you don;t like, as opposed to what is said!??!? *snicker* :o)

Sorry if the truth hurts!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• 'I'll tell you what. If Prop 8 gets over turned then I will have no qualms about the mosque being built. "
    I thought it did... A week ago...?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2010