Need help with our 14 month old

Our 14 month old has never slept through the night...not once. We love her to pieces but the interrupted sleep is taking its toll and we've had it. She is a light eater during the day, takes a few sips of milk here (I give her a little oatmeal before bed but it never helps) and there and is otherwise breastfed about 2 to 3 times during the day and then at night. I'm not sure if the wakings during the night are due to habit, comfort, hunger, all of the above? ! I'm also not sure if night weaning will result in her sleeping through the night or if she'd still wake up. Either way, we need to do something and we have no idea where to start. We read Weissbluth...and other books, but we'd like to hear from other parents how they resolved this. Even if she just woke once or twice, we'd be so much happier. She goes to bed between 6:45 and 7 and takes 1 to 2 naps a day. We don't want to just let he scream it out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd suggest maybe 1 nap a day, my 11 month old only takes 1 nap and since we switched her to 1 she has slept better, and maybe going to bed a little later like7:30 or 8. She may be hungry, It doesnt seem like she eats enough by the way you described and night weaning may or may not help. Best of luck :)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• if it is just out of habit or comfort, sometime the best thing to do is to just let her cry until she falls back asleep. i know it sounds kind of mean but i had the same problem to. at first its really hard but sometime they wake up for just a little bit and haven't even decided if they want to be up yet when we come in and wake them up.
    riss280

Answer by riss280 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I know you said you do not want your little one to cry it out, and I understand that. But if you think about how your little one thinks... they are born to cry to get their needs met. They also quickly learn crying will be soon be soothed by mommy. I have twins and when they were 6 months old my one twin, my son was still waking up for two, to three feedings when my doctor said he should be down to one or none at all. My daughter on the other hand was no problem and slept through the night right away. My doctor even said to let him cry it out because they know how to get your attention. Your child at 14 months is not waking up because they are hungry, it is routine and she has not learned to put herself back to sleep. If you are determined not to let her cry it out then start slow. Try and soothe her without picking her up. Rub her back, sing to her, gradually do less and less. Good luck!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• IMO kids aren't born to cry, they discover this is the easiest way to get their needs met. I started teaching my dd sign language when she was born & it significantly reduced her need to cry cuz she could communicate her needs in a different manner. Otherwise I agree w/ amylynn. If it was my kid I'd try to get her to nap earlier in the day so she's tired @ night time, limit her to one nap. Take a shirt you've worn for a couple of days so it smells like you & put it on her favorite stuffed animal. This should help w/ her wanting to be close to you in the middle of the night. @ this age I'd also night wean, my dd stopped waking up to be breastfed @ night around 8 mo. @ this age you don't need to be concerned about her choking so easily so I'd put some rice cereal in the milk you're giving her thru the day to add some sticking power. My ped recommended it for mine to up her iron intake. When she wakes up don't offer her boobie.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My son was much the same way and we didn't really do anything - he is just growing out of it. I don't believe it crying it out in any way. I don't think it's right or fair. I do try to offer him a pacifier or try to pat his back when he wakes up before I offer him boob - he is getting better at settling down without needing to nurse but it has been a slow process. He sleeps with us so waking up in the night isn't a big deal though - many times I don't even wake up. Just give him a boob and he's happy. They are little for such a short time - why not try to make it easier instead of fighting them on things that they will grow out of any way? Not a popular way of thinking I guess, but it works for us. I also nap with him for at least one nap a day, so I get the sleep I need.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2010