How do you deal with a teen that completely ignores your rules?

My 13 year old daughter never listens to me. She's a spoiled bratt.

Chelsea_LeBlanc

Asked by Chelsea_LeBlanc at 9:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Do not reward her for bad behavior. If she is doing things you do not like either take things she loves/likes away from her. Do not let her go places she want to go. stuff like that. You are the parent. If she does not listen to you. When she asks for something. do not give it to her. Tell her you did not here her.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• take everything away phone computer TV and give her a book and talk to her till her ears bleed basically till she sees the wrong in what she is doing extra chores around the house too could help
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• ahh thanks.
    Chelsea_LeBlanc

Comment by Chelsea_LeBlanc (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Are the rules posted? If you have to, take control and actually post the rules. Assign and post chores. Privileges get taken away if they are not done. Post those as well. Bring it down to a younger child's level if that is what it will take.

Do some positive things with her too so you stay connected. I am not saying reward her but you have to let her know you love her too. Do you like getting your nails done together? Plan a lunch out or something. Take a walk together. List, and assign, these as "chores" if she is resistive. It's crucial to have positive interactions with her too. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I think it has a lot to do with what the rules ARE
    honestly from what you posted I have no idea...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:19 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Maybe thats because there are hardly any rules at my house
    Chelsea_LeBlanc

Comment by Chelsea_LeBlanc (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• We don't have a lot of rules either...but my kids usually stick to them so it's hard to say...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I just saw your comment about rules. Kids without structure can grow up insecure and less confident. Having order and structure shows you care about them. It will be invaluable to her as she gets older and has the added stress of high school peer pressure and all that goes with it. I wish you good luck..
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Take EVERYTHING out of her room. Leave her bed, schoolbooks and clothes. NOTHING else. She then has to earn the rest of her belongings back by following directions and listening to you. My son has hardly any rules, yet he still listens and does what he is told. It is about giving and getting respect. You don't need a lot of rules for a child to have structure and order. Too many rules can cause problems too. I don't sweat the small stuff, I learn to pick my battles. I talk to my child about why he needs to act in certain ways and what the consequences are.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I would define some rules and STICK to them. Parents oftentimes give too much which teaches your kids that they can sometimes get away with it, so therefore pushing the boundaries. If they choose not to be civil about it, then restrict them further. Don't give them the opportunity to break the rules.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 12:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2010