How do you help a teen that has just gotten her period?

Her period is severe. She had to stay home from school Friday beacause of it. She throws up and get diahhrea. I hate seeing her like that.

Chelsea_LeBlanc

Asked by Chelsea_LeBlanc at 9:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• my first period was never like that. sounds like she needs to see a gyne. i remember my periods being really irregular. having them for a month sometimes. she might need to get on some birth control to help regulate them. what an awful way to start out for her.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:51 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• that helps. She is so sick when shes on it. In fact she's throwing up at this moment.
    Chelsea_LeBlanc

Comment by Chelsea_LeBlanc (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• get her to a gyne.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:55 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• I had the same issue with my daughter. The gyn said that the hormones are flooding her body right now and it is normal to take several months for her body to get used to the changes. She was really miserable. It is the some of the same hormones that happen in early pregnancy. Take her to the gyn. She will likely be prescribed the pill to get the hormones regulated over the next year. My daughter only took the pills for a few months before she quit.

As for the symptoms, treat it as you would morning sickness. Hot or cold towels, ginger ale and saltine crakers. This will get better for her in the upcoming months.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 10:04 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Comfort her the best you can.
    I *personally* wouldn't automatically put her on any pills to regulate it.
    I would take her to the gyno if your seriously concerned, but I would give her body at least 6 months to deal and regulate itself.
    Good luck!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• She needs to see a doctor, now!

Answer by older at 11:37 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• My periods began at age 14 and just kept coming with no breaks and got so heavy,I needed to take Iron tablets because I was so anemic,and the Doctor prescribed a series of hormone shots every two weeks to regulate my cycle...in 1956,before they had invented birth control pills,of course. After three months of the shots,my periods became regular. It was no fun. Cramps so bad I wanted to throw up. I can sympathize with her. I would take her to a Doctor....she needs help. Good luck.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• How about gravol? And ginger ale. That always helps settle the stomache. You can get non drowsy gravol I think. I've also found calcium helps with the cramping pain, as long as you take it before the period.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2010

• This question requires professional medical advice. Good luck. Hope she feels better soon.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 3:45 PM on Aug. 16, 2010

• pure baby i feel so bad for her. my 12 year old has big troubles 2
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2010