how can help my son to recognize his ABC's and numbers

my son is 4 yrs old and he will start school next year im trying to get him to recognize his ABC's he know the song but not remebering them can someone please help

simone20

Asked by simone20 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sit down and work with him on them, everyday as much time per day as you can. Reading them, writing them, make flash cards. Before he's in school, you're the only one that can teach him. I started with my daughter when she was like 1 or 2, as soon as she was talking.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i was a teacher for a daycare and the best way is starting with one letter and number a week. in etc. week one will be letter a and number 1, and have a routine of doing it everyday at the same time. make a letter and number of the week bag and have himfind things around the house to put in the bag that start with the letter or same amount as the number
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 9:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• you could try baby eienstein videos and my daughter loves them
    greenmaniac

Answer by greenmaniac at 9:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Make letters and numbers out of playdough and look for them in books or at the store. Start with the letters of his name. Don't worry if he doesn't know them before school, that's what school is for.

The most important thing you can do is read, read, read. That way it isn't work, it's fun, and he will learn better. My oldest is very busy and hardly ever sat still at that young age. However there was always some winding down time when we sat queitly and looked at picture books. Just looked at the pictures, no pressure to learn. That way he associated books with pleasure which is essential to enjoying reading. I always had books in the car for trips to the store, or for waiting at the doctor's office.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Here's my fave messy letter game. Get a cheap can of shaving cream, spray it on a mirror, a sliding glass door, or a table, then have him spread it all around. It's great for writing letters in and it gets glass squeaky clean!

Sidewalk chalk is another fun one. Right now my driveway is a study in how many different ways you can write the letter A. lol!

We used mini-sticky notes too, there's tons of games you can play with them. I would give each kid a stack of stickies and their job was to find things that started with /b/. Or we'd go through the house finding things that started with each letter, write the letter on the sticky, and stick it on.
    MamaSaidYes

Answer by MamaSaidYes at 3:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Ive been just getting my son to repeat the numbers and letters with me and he will point to letters in a sign and ask whats that? and we usually tell him and keep repeating it every time he asks. repeat and repeat and repeat. I have a set of plain flash cards that we play with. And ever since he was two he can tell us what the numbers are by looking at them. He knows his colors and shapes too, we just keep repeating them and making sure we take time to answer him when he asks to know something, even when it gets really annoying lol.
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2008