What do you think about babies watching TV? Do you let your baby watch it?

How old should a baby be before he or she watches TV? How long would you let him or her watch it in one day? Do you think it has negative effects on a baby, maybe it's too much stimulation?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 17 month old who will not watch tv I wish I could get him to. What happened was for the first 15 months We didn't watch tv which maybe why he doesn't watch it now but there are things like potty training, and certain movies I want him to watch. I wish I would have started earlier. I have freiends kids can watch tv all day long and I don't think that is good either. My doc says two hours at most per day is the best, and at least one hour or exercise per day.
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I did not let my little one start watching TV until he was 14 months old. He now only gets to watch it when he first wakes up in the morning for 30 min and then another 30 min in the afternoon. Over the weekend my husband and I sat down and watched Toy Story with him. It was as a family so I wasn't not concerned. I have friends who let their babies watch baby einstein and shows like that. I do not think it will hurt them developmentally. Keep it in short increments and do not let them sit really close.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Little Einstiens! Both of my kids (age 20 mos. and 3 yrs.) know classical music, art and where the Eiffel Tower is, what they use for transportation in Venice, who gave us the Statue of Liberty, etc. It's great!
    deermama

Answer by deermama at 10:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• there are a lot of studies now suggesting that tv should be put off until the age of 2. for us, though, my daughter didn't become interested in television until she was around 19 months old.
    prior to that she would get excited when a car or phone commercial came on because of the music and all the fast images those kinds of commercials have.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• i let my dd watch tv, but she's only 4 mos old and likes the color..she watches the stuff on nick like dora the explorer and the educational stuff like that,..and she'll sometimes watch the stuff that hubby and i watch at night..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter is 5 months and watches Jon and Kate Plus 8. I know its weird, but she really likes it!! We watch the new ones every Monday together!!
    Dodie702

Answer by Dodie702 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• While I'm not a fan of TV, for kids OR adults--we rarely watch anything other than DVD's, Discovery Channel, History Channel or PBS in our house--I don't think that the occasional Curious George or other kiddy show is that bad--especially if it lets you get a load of dishes done or the toilet cleaned, or quick moment of sanity. What is bad is when that 30 minute show becomes 3-4 hours or all day of TV, or when the program is violent or loud or overstimulating. Trust me, I know the difference between how the munchie acts when Daddy has been watching an action movie, or playing violent video games outside of naptime vs. how she acts in front of PBS vs. how she acts with no TV...and that difference starts at a very young age. If you think of TV as a tool, rather than as a necessary form of entertainment and distraction, you and the kiddo are alot better off in the long run.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I let my daughter watch tv all she wants. She is very very active it never slows this baby down lol. I keep it on the Noggin station all day. She hardly watches it but i rather it be on something cute then some stupid murray show.

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My baby is 6 months and she still isn't interested. Although, I have seen her staring at the tv for a bit longer than she used to, she won't watch 10 minutes of it. In my opinion, I think 30 minutes to an hour a day is ok. I don't think it's bad for them unless they're watching an excessive amount (more than 2 hrs) or what their watching is bad.
    AudrianasMommi

Answer by AudrianasMommi at 12:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My mom read somewhere that Autisim is linked to children that watch tv at an early age, so we are careful since our twin boys are only 5 months old. It is pretty funny though when we set them with their backs to the tv and they are turning their heads tring to see the tv behind them.
    kristyrea

Answer by kristyrea at 2:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2008