Do you think he should have been charged with more?

Michael Kovacs, 57, was arrested Friday and charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of his 48-year-old wife. She died from methanol poisoning on June 25 after ingesting the substance found in antifreeze and solvents in a soft drink on June 20, according to Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith.
Do you think he should have been charged with more? This was premeditated was it not?
Linky to follow...

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.lohud.com/article/20108150378
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Manslaughter in the second degree may be committed by the doing of an unlawful act, or the doing of a lawful act in an unlawful manner, although at the time the defendant did not actually know that the act would result in homicide, and this notwithstanding, after the act was done, or while in progress the defendant used ordinary care to prevent the taking of human life; nor is the intention to take life necessary in a prosecution for this offense.

***
    In other words, he got himself a good lawyer!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• IMO, it was premeditated murder in the first degree...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Lori, I know this man. That woman was my friend who recently passed away. He sat on my couch... I am soo creeped out right now. I hope his lawyer bails on him!!!!!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• WOW. And I remember reading you felt soooooo sorry for this man, who was now left alone. See, you can't even trust your neighbors. I'd move by the time he gets out of prison.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:04 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• LOL yeah I was saying that. They didn't live that close thank god and I hope he never gets out. Taking a woman like that from the world. I just want to know why but I know I never will. I just wanted others opinions because as far as I'm concerned he planed this and it should be taken as such!
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

Mine too....the act of hiding it in her soda says he KNEW what it would do and he purposfully did it

My sister is a nurse, she used to work at a nursing home and one of her co-workers was accused  of poisoning one of her children....and they took her kids....No one that knew her believed it, they said something else had to have happened. Her hubby defended her...until a few months later....she admitted it......

The child did not die, they got her in time....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• sweet, I am glad they got her in time. Unfortunitly my friend is gone because of this man who everyone thought worshiped the ground she walked on. This is a shock to us as her friends who saw how they were together. He tryed to say she had a drinking problem. He probably didn't realize that the alcohol in anti-freeze is different then the alcohol in beer.
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Proving premeditation can be hard. They are likely charging with what they know they can convict him on.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2010

• Carpy, there was anti-freeze in her soda. How is that NOT premeditated?
    delilahsmom1177

Comment by delilahsmom1177 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Aug. 15, 2010